Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Pit Bull Attack

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    Just like with our guns, these statistics are horribly skewed. I've been a professional trainer since the early 90s, specializing in protection dogs, aggression problems and working with all the "tough" breeds. Even back in those days, any dog even resembling something pit bull like was labeled a pit bull if it showed any kind of aggression. Meanwhile, golden retriever and lab bites were ignored and not reported. I can't even count how many "pit bull attacks" were not committed by pit bulls. They have been the scape goat of the dog world for at least 3 decades. My two worst aggression cases were both golden retrievers. I've dealt with dog aggression problems with nearly every breed, and I am 100% sure that pit bulls are not doing 65% of the dog attacks in our country. Most of those attacks aren't even pit bulls. This is no different than Al Gore telling us in 2000 that the world as we know it will end because of global warming in the next 20 years. Or the little disclaimer on all the YouTube videos claiming the our last presidential election was legal and legitimate. I'm surprised that people on a gun forum would be so gullible to media propaganda. I hope all of you that think pit bulls are some sort of exceptionally evil monster dog remember that when people argue with you about "Who needs an AR-14???", or those 100 round death clips, or those horrid hollow tip bullets that are meant to kill innocent people... Don't believe everything you see on TV.

Here are some facts to ponder from someone who has truly been in these trenches and has no reason to be biased or lie about these things. I've worked with many pit bulls over many years. I've owned several of them and several pit bull mixes, but do not currently have any.
    1. I have personally seen a few pit bulls with a screw loose that have attacked people. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I have seen many many more of them that were loving loyal pets and never did anything to hurt anybody.
    2. I have watched one hell of a lot more German Shepards with a screw loose attack people completely unprovoked, yet no one hates GSDs , calls them monsters, or calls for their extermination. I know I said "facts", but allow me to give a rough estimate based on what I have personally seen with my own eyes in over 30 years of working with 1000s of dogs. I'd guesstimate that around 1-2% of pit bulls are "bad" dogs and will bite people when they are not supposed to. Like it or not, that is what I've seen. By contrast, I'd put that number around 20-25% for GSDs. 5-10% for akitas, Rottweilers and dobermans. 10-15% for chows. 15-20% for Neo mastiffs, etc... I've seen more unprovoked GSD attacks than all other breeds combined. By far. And no, pit bulls don't bite harder or do more damage than any of these other large breeds. Their bite is significantly weaker than that of a Shepard or Rott. I have received thousands of bites from dozens of breeds. The pit bull mouth is nothing special and they don't have a special "lock jaw" feature either.
    3. My wife was a vet tech for 15 years. She then became a veterinary consultant calling on all the local vet clinics in our part of the world. According to her, pit bulls almost never do anything aggressive when a stranger takes them into the back of the clinic and sticks needles in them. The vast majority of the bites staff received were labs and retrievers. GSDs almost always got a muzzle right off the bat when they walked in the door.
    4. When we raise puppies to do actual real protection work, pit bulls often fall short as they get older and more mature because they are bite inhibited. They don't want to bite people or fight with bad guys. Not all of them, but a much larger percentage of them than say mals, dutchies or GSDs. Pitties almost always do great and show promise with the puppy stuff because its all play and prey driven. When we move into more confrontation and push back form the decoy as the pups mature, a lot of pit bulls quit wanting to "play" the game, where a mal or a dutch come alive with fury at that point in the training. I've seen it repeated soooo many times.
    5. Pit bulls were bred to fight other dogs, not people. Read a book about the history of dog fighting. It was a matter of pride for dog fighters to have no "man aggression" in their lines. There was a handler for each dog and a referee in the ring with the two dogs while they were fighting. One former dog fighter that I met told me that if a dog in the ring showed any aggression toward any person for any reason, they shoot it in the head right there in front of everyone, so that the crowd would know that there was no man aggression in their lines. He told me this didn't happen often because pit bulls aren't aggressive toward people. Not real pit bulls, anyway. I don't associate with dog fighters or fight dogs, but I have met people who do and did.
    6. I've broken up a lot of dog fights over the years. Pit bulls are about the easiest and least sketchy to do this with. They almost never turn around and bite the people trying to break it up. Almost all other dogs will turn and flail and bite anything within reach, including their owners.

If anyone here doesn't like pit bulls and doesn't want one, that is fine with me. I'm not trying to convince anyone of how great they are. I also prefer other breeds. But please don't fall for the false media hype. They are just dogs with the same sort of strengths and weaknesses as any other breed. They aren't heroes and they aren't villains. They are just another dog breed. There have been good and bad individuals of every breed. Seemingly every act of dog aggression gets blamed on pit bulls and that is the only thing these statistics show. How many times do the reporters blame an "assault rifle" while the oxygen thief is clearly holding an 870? Its like any other popularity contest and pits have been losing for decades. I can find you statistics that scientifically back up any claim any of us can invent. Doesn't make it true. Calling for the destruction of every pit bull because of some crap you saw on TV or the internet is no different than the idiots crying out for the ban of these weapons of war made only for senselessly murdering scores of innocent humans. Weapons that some of us here happen to be quite fond of.

Pit bulls are much like our ARs, in that:
    1. There is mass public ignorance surrounding both of them.
    2. Either can actually do harm to innocent humans when in the wrong hands.
    3. Either can be used for good purposes when in the right hands.
    4. The media goes into a crazy feeding frenzy anytime either of them harms someone, even when it wasn't even an AR or a pit.
    5. Other much more pertinent and pervasive threats are completely ignored by these same media people.
    6. The people who actually know and use them, know the real story about them and find the public BS surrounding them absurd.

I'm sure I could go on, but I'll let it rest.
    Thanks for the post, and the context of your background.

I am neither for them nor against them, or any specific breed (we currently have a Jack Russell terrier, I've had a GSD, mutts, keeshonds, boxer...). But I will say having been in health care for over 30 years the breed I have seen with most attacks was the pit bull. For whatever reason.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    2. I have watched one hell of a lot more German Shepards with a screw loose attack people completely unprovoked, yet no one hates GSDs , calls them monsters, or calls for their extermination. I know I said "facts", but allow me to give a rough estimate based on what I have personally seen with my own eyes in over 30 years of working with 1000s of dogs. I'd guesstimate that around 1-2% of pit bulls are "bad" dogs and will bite people when they are not supposed to. Like it or not, that is what I've seen. By contrast, I'd put that number around 20-25% for GSDs. 5-10% for akitas, Rottweilers and dobermans. 10-15% for chows. 15-20% for Neo mastiffs, etc... I've seen more unprovoked GSD attacks than all other breeds combined. By far. And no, pit bulls don't bite harder or do more damage than any of these other large breeds. Their bite is significantly weaker than that of a Shepard or Rott. I have received thousands of bites from dozens of breeds. The pit bull mouth is nothing special and they don't have a special "lock jaw" feature either.
    3. My wife was a vet tech for 15 years. She then became a veterinary consultant calling on all the local vet clinics in our part of the world. According to her, pit bulls almost never do anything aggressive when a stranger takes them into the back of the clinic and sticks needles in them. The vast majority of the bites staff received were labs and retrievers. GSDs almost always got a muzzle right off the bat when they walked in the door.
    Now that you mention it...
    I worked for a guy back in the day whose wife was a DVM...I asked her about aggressive dogs once and she told me the same thing about GSDs. She said that she hates to work with them and they always got muzzled for even the simplest of exams because they can go from calm to vicious biting in the blink of an eye with no warning. Said most other breeds will let you know they're getting pissed off, but GSDs will just go directly to trying to eat your face. The muzzling policy came about after several unprovoked bites to her and her staff from "gentle" GSDs.

IDK. The couple pits I know directly are super chill. I guess it's complicated. Dogs are intelligent creatures with individual personalities and free will and things can be cool right up until they're not.

The dogs that seem to cause the most trouble around here anyway are unsocialized and mistreated mutts left largely to fend for themselves. There are a lot of shitty owners too and chaining some poor animal in the middle of a barren yard with no food or shelter can make any dog screwy. I guess that's a long way of saying I'm suspicious of all dogs I don't know (and maybe even a little of some of the ones I do)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Pit Bull Attack

———————
    Last edited by Waylander; 12-05-23 at 23:07.

Feedback Score
    I was attacked by a full grown German Shepherd when I was about 5-6 years old. Not simply bitten, but attacked. The dog jumped on me and knocked me to the ground. The dog was in my face growling and snapping. I rolled over on my stomach. The dog bit me many times, but not with full force. It was over pretty quickly. The dog could have easily killed me. I was cutting through their yard and the dog who was always inside was somehow outside that day. I was in his territory. A German Shepherd is still one of my favorite breeds. Thank God it wasn’t a Pit Bull that day.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My Uncle took 4 pits to Alaska after he returned from WWII. He said that they were good with all of his kids and kept the bears out of his yard.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Extermination of a breed is extreme. I was attacked by a GS in the 4th grade, his name was King and I'll never forget that day or that dog. He didn't do any damage because I escaped inside the neighbors house, but he scared the living shit out of me.

Feedback Score
    No different than any other dog, easiest to disengage from attack, probably misidentified Beagles anyway...

-----

Dec 1 2023

Iowa mom loses legs, needs facial reconstruction surgery after being mauled by three pit bulls

Skoland was rushed to a nearby hospital, but her injuries proved so severe that she was airlifted to the Iowa Methodist Medical Center in Des Moines, known for its verified adult trauma center.

“She has had both legs amputated to her knees and parts of her hands. She is going to need facial reconstruction surgery, she also has serious head trauma and much more.”

The officer attempted to scare the dogs away to stop them from attacking the woman, but the dogs would not stop,” Chief Dennis Quinn said in a statement. With no other option, the officer fired at the animals, killing all three.

While some shocked neighbors said the pit bulls were typically obedient to their owner, others claimed they’ve had problems with the dogs in the past.

More here: https://nypost.com/2023/12/01/news/i...r-dog-mauling/

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    No different than any other dog, easiest to disengage from attack, probably misidentified Beagles anyway...

-----

Dec 1 2023

Iowa mom loses legs, needs facial reconstruction surgery after being mauled by three pit bulls

Skoland was rushed to a nearby hospital, but her injuries proved so severe that she was airlifted to the Iowa Methodist Medical Center in Des Moines, known for its verified adult trauma center.

“She has had both legs amputated to her knees and parts of her hands. She is going to need facial reconstruction surgery, she also has serious head trauma and much more.”

The officer attempted to scare the dogs away to stop them from attacking the woman, but the dogs would not stop,” Chief Dennis Quinn said in a statement. With no other option, the officer fired at the animals, killing all three.

While some shocked neighbors said the pit bulls were typically obedient to their owner, others claimed they’ve had problems with the dogs in the past.

More here: https://nypost.com/2023/12/01/news/i...r-dog-mauling/
    thas raaaacist

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Awesome. Post articles supporting your argument but then go on to ignore facts from an actual SME in the field...but yet bitch about gun haters when they do the same thing. Hypocrites...but hey, as long as it satisfies your emotions and makes you feel good inside. That's what really counts.

Feedback Score
    I can’t speak for the others, but I got my statistics from a pro-dog website.
    Probably a bunch of gun-hating racists masquerading as dog lovers though.
    Last edited by Colt Carson; 12-04-23 at 17:49.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast