Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt carrier inner dimensions

Feedback Score

Bolt carrier inner dimensions

What are the inner diameters encountered as you progress from front to rear of a 556 bolt carrier? I want to get cleaning brushes in the correct diameters (9mm, .410, etc/whatever) to efficiently scrub each section inside the carrier. Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The bolt dimensions are:

.5280 +/- .0005
    .511 +/- .004
    .488 +/- .002

That said, I don't use brushes, I use the CATM4 tool with a patch after 10 minutes in an ultrasonic. Gets them squeaky clean.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You can use a .45 brush on a drill with some CLP, but its completely unnecessary. Using the small end of a GI toothbrush once in a blue moon with some CLP, you can go longer than the life of the gas rings before needing to clean more thoroughly. Probably longer than the life of the bolt.

Feedback Score
    Wish I had a US cleaner. Will look up the cat tool....

Dang, Disciple. You called my bluff. Gotta find something bigger than my phone to read em!

Yeah, not looking to scrub spotless. Just want to wrap a patch and turn by hand for more efficiency than stuffing a patch inside. Easier to wrap a new patch on a brush than deal with a bore mop. Hosing with clp/brake cleaner leaves more than desired....

Size for "firing pin tunnel"?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Wish I had a US cleaner.
    Those things suck. I blotched the finish on a Colt Carrier trying that nonsense once. No functional damage, but annoying.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Those things suck. I blotched the finish on a Colt Carrier trying that nonsense once. No functional damage, but annoying.
    What did you have in there Mark? I've used one for years and have never had an issue with a finish. I use mainly water with either Simple green or Hornady US cleaner fluid added at about an 40:1 ratio. (Water:Cleaner)

I certainly don't toss my blued Smith's in there, but stainless, phosphate, NP3 or just about any other coating turn out great.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 10-04-23 at 10:37.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just water. I never added anything fancy to the solution.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    They’ll take the color out of the markings on a MP5 as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yep, they'll certainly take off paint. They can also mess with your skin cells, if you own one, don't stick your fingers in there while it is running.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 10-04-23 at 12:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast