Thread: Suppressed pre-64 Model 70

Feedback Score

Suppressed pre-64 Model 70

I got my Model 70 back today, the day after my OPS INC 3rd model suppressor arrived. Beautiful day outside so I closed up shop and headed to the range.

This rifle has always been disgustingly accurate, and the addition of the 3rd model definitely did not hurt anything; if anything it’s shooting tighter!

Having been completely disassembled to contour the barrel for the suppressor I had to re-zero my scope. It only took a few shots to get where I wanted, and the reduction in recoil makes shooting a dream.

After the initial zero, here are the first 6 shots. I think its 6, I loaded 3 rounds at a time. I kinda lost count because I kept telling my friend to take a look at the “hole” after each shot. The bad part was we were shooting into the sun, but the light shined through the holes making them easy to see. I was laughing out loud as the hole kept getting brighter and brighter..

I got the elevation fine tuned, so I moved to the windage, in 3 shot groups. Nice, 6 shots and 2 more holes. Even though this is designed to be shot suppressed all the time, I took the can off and shot 3 more rounds. POI shift is about 1 ¼” low at 100yds.

And for the final zero check my friend put up an orange dot to confirm with the last round. Its good.

If your going to build a bolt gun you plan to suppress, this can is worth considering. Its definitely a can to dedicate to the rifle, and if you already have a rifle, its a PITA to add because the barrel needs to be modified.
    The can threads on, and tightens up against a shoulder contoured into the barrel.

Feedback Score
    Man I like that gun. Only bolt gun I've shot. Let me know next time we are going shooting and you are bringing it along, I'll buy some .308 ammo.

Feedback Score
    Oh, by the way, you family is home, shouldn't you be eating turkey or something?

Feedback Score
    Dude,
    sweet stick brother! I am currently running a GA Precision Rock and have an older M70 HBV that i was considering selling. I think i might have to go your route in conjunction with a new tube.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What ammo were you shooting?

Feedback Score
    Man! I don't think I make enough money to be a member of this forum. That is a sweet rifle! Maybe if I say my prayers every night and eat all my veggies, Santa will see that I am a good boy and bring me one someday.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh-L
    What ammo were you shooting?
    The first group was Portuguese Surplus (always groups great for me)

the rest was Black Hills 175.

liberty911 - I got that rifle for a song in trade from a local PD, and I dont have the uber cool/expensive glass.

Feedback Score
    I was only joking. An AR and a nice bolt gun are on my list of to do's. I probably would have done one or the other already but we got hit kinda hard this year when my wife wrecked BOTH of our cars in Jan and Feb. I am happy to say, though, that we will get a rather large tax refund this year thanks to Uncle SAM's wonderful vacation program to tax free resorts!

If and when I leave Commiefornia I will start the AR, so maybe I will start the bolt gun first.

Great gun though!