Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install alignment of FSB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    BRD makes a quality fixture that uses the indexing pin of the barrel to align the FSB against, which should help you perfectly center over the gas port.

Rumor is Colt would install barrels into the uppers first, then index of the carry handle to install the FSB... which means the sight isn't canted in the least, but also that minor clocking in the receiver means the gas port isn't necessarily perfectly centered under the aperture in the FSB. On a carbine gas lengths system with .062-.070" ports you have plenty of wiggle room... but on .093/.0995" sized rifle length ports, I'd rather index off the gas port/ indexing pin than off the rear sight.
    SOLGW Deputy Director of Sales

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
    BRD makes a quality fixture that uses the indexing pin of the barrel to align the FSB against, which should help you perfectly center over the gas port.

Rumor is Colt would install barrels into the uppers first, then index of the carry handle to install the FSB... which means the sight isn't canted in the least, but also that minor clocking in the receiver means the gas port isn't necessarily perfectly centered under the aperture in the FSB. On a carbine gas lengths system with .062-.070" ports you have plenty of wiggle room... but on .093/.0995" sized rifle length ports, I'd rather index off the gas port/ indexing pin than off the rear sight.
    I found the fixture you reference and I'd probably pony up the 300 to buy one if I thought I would do another. the parts arrived today for the home made carry handle version and I have it assembled and think it may work. Still need to check Gas Port alignment with my borescope, but suspect this will get me where I need to be with this one.

For anyone reading this thread in the future, the fixture mentioned above is linked here: BRD Front Sight Jig

ETA: Either the part numbers changed since that Youtube video was made, or I ordered the wrong part, but the "Pointer" McMaster Carr sent doesn't fit into the hole of the inside tube, so I improvised and used one of my pin gauges as an elegant alternative.

Thanks regardless, as your suggestion may indeed help someone in the future. I also appreciate your expert insights.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 10-17-23 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you lose confidence in the clamp on you can drill and tap the taper pin holes in a used A2 sight base for 4 #8(finer the thread the better) or #10-32 set screws.

It is also easier to drill and tap the hole in the bottom of the rear band and use it to zero windage before securing the 4 set screws.

Obviously dimpling or milling flats for the set screws add to keeping everything snug.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-17-23 at 16:23.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    If you lose confidence in the clamp on you can drill and tap the taper pin holes in a used A2 sight base for 4 #8(finer the thread the better) or #10-32 set screws.

It is also easier to drill and tap the hole in the bottom of the rear band and use it to zero windage before securing the 4 set screws.

Obviously dimpling or milling flats for the set screws add to keeping everything snug.
    Do you have a source for used FSB's by chance? I'd like a few if for no other reason than to have options.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Do you have a source for used FSB's by chance? I'd like a few if for no other reason than to have options.
    Just keep an eye open on equipment exchanges and when demil parts kits hit the market every so often. Surplus oriented shops and maybe some gun shows may also be good places to look. Knob Creek used to have plenty back in the good old days.

The only place I am seeing take offs via google search right now is a site that specializes in clones and their take offs are more than several vendors have virgin fsb's for.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post

This is true, and I suspect Colt's reason for doing it that way and the reason that the FSBs are not installed before barrel installation is because their very expensive automated barrel nut torque and alignment machine doesn't allow room for the FSB to be in place through that process. I also suspect that they have the FSB-less barrel and upper receiver set up together in some very fancy jig to be put into the machine that does not allow any movement between the barrel and the upper so that the gas port doesn't go off center during the torque process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12