Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAO options or striker with MS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

SAO options or striker with MS

I am looking for options and opinions for a SAO, range use pistol. I have focused my pistol shooting for the last year on my P365, and settled on using it with the manual safety.

I want a full size 9mm with a safety at the minimum, to keep my one operating system OCD in check.

Optics ready, or easily direct milled. Sorry Beretta 92, but it needs to be integrated into the slide and not ride super high.

I’m not a huge trigger snob and would probably be OK with Gucci striker, but I am also leaning towards metal framed because it’s been a long time since I owned any.

A used P226 Legion is what got me thinking about this, and that’s about the limit I’d spend on this project.

On the other hand, an M&P, Apex trigger, and comp would probably be the more practical solution.

What other options am I missing?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a P226 Legion SAO, and the trigger is exceptionally good. Even more so with the addition of a Gray Guns adjustable trigger and Armory Craft hammer, FWIW. The safety is well placed and extremely intuitive to disengage on presentation, without much conscious thought really. Mine came with a Romeo 1 Pro, which was quickly removed and replaced with a 508T, and more recently replaced with a Holosun SCS 320, mainly because I didn't care for the gap that the RMR footprint optic left in the Deltapoint Pro/Romeo 1 Pro cut in the slide.

I also EDC a P365X or Macro, and the grip angles between all 3 line up very well, if not perfectly. Well enough, that I can do eyes closed presentations with all three and have the dot present on opening my eyes.

As to other solutions, I'm sure there are some, but as mentioned, I've settled on the Sig grip angle, so I can't make any direct recommendations.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In the striker class, there are the SIG P320-M17 and P320-M18, both of which have manual safeties and optic-ready slides. Some optics require an adapter plate to be used on these. They have the PRO CUT which allows for use of the ROMEO1PRO, ROMEO2, and the LEUPOLD DPP. If you want to retain the rear sight, Tangodown has a plate to allow for mounting a rear sight and they also have an optic-height sight set. In the P226 world, see if you can find a used P226 LEGION SAO (E26R-9-LEGION-SAO-R2) that has the optic-ready slide for sale. New ones are right around $1300. There is the also P226 ZEV, but you are looking right around $1800-$2K for these.

Here is my P320-M18 with a Trijicon RMR and the TD adapter plate and TruGlo optic-height sights.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Was going to suggest a 365 macro. Just noticed OP already has one
    Last edited by signal4l; 10-14-23 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    226 or 229 Legion SAO is about as good as it gets from the factory. I love mine and think the set up its outstanding.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I am looking for options and opinions for a SAO, range use pistol. I have focused my pistol shooting for the last year on my P365, and settled on using it with the manual safety.

I want a full size 9mm with a safety at the minimum, to keep my one operating system OCD in check.

Optics ready, or easily direct milled. Sorry Beretta 92, but it needs to be integrated into the slide and not ride super high.

I’m not a huge trigger snob and would probably be OK with Gucci striker, but I am also leaning towards metal framed because it’s been a long time since I owned any.

A used P226 Legion is what got me thinking about this, and that’s about the limit I’d spend on this project.

On the other hand, an M&P, Apex trigger, and comp would probably be the more practical solution.

What other options am I missing?
    Cz shadow 2. Its extremely popular in competition for a reason.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-14-23 at 15:33.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The used Legion DA/SA P226 I saw started me on this, so ordering the SAO is probably where it ends. I want to make sure I’m not missing something obvious, because I don’t see many higher end pistols that aren’t mid tier 1911’s on the shelf of LGS’s around here. I also owned a P229 long ago, so I know I’m comfortable with the grip.

The CZ I know of, but I’ve never really had much interest in them. They also make a polymer DA/SA that’s convertible to SAO I didn’t know about until a min ago.

The P320 with MS is in the practical category with the M&P. Is the Wilson grip for the P320 as great as the one I got for my P365? A Wilson Macro grip whenever they actually come out is probably the most practical, but I’m thinking I’d like to own a metal frame handgun again rather than be practical. Probably a sign I’m getting old or maybe my midlife crisis…

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The used Legion DA/SA P226 I saw started me on this, so ordering the SAO is probably where it ends. I want to make sure I’m not missing something obvious, because I don’t see many higher end pistols that aren’t mid tier 1911’s on the shelf of LGS’s around here. I also owned a P229 long ago, so I know I’m comfortable with the grip.

The CZ I know of, but I’ve never really had much interest in them. They also make a polymer DA/SA that’s convertible to SAO I didn’t know about until a min ago.

The P320 with MS is in the practical category with the M&P. Is the Wilson grip for the P320 as great as the one I got for my P365? A Wilson Macro grip whenever they actually come out is probably the most practical, but I’m thinking I’d like to own a metal frame handgun again rather than be practical. Probably a sign I’m getting old or maybe my midlife crisis…
    In regard to the WC grip module for the P320, it is as nice and functional as the one for the P365. I have a couple P320s with one and a P365 with one. I do think that the P226 LEGION SAO (optic ready model) is an excellent choice for you with the P320-M17 or -M18 as a backup option.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any reason not to pick the LE Legion if I find one? The difference is just the color and no grip logo from what I can find.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Any reason not to pick the LE Legion if I find one? The difference is just the color and no grip logo from what I can find.
    There is no reason and some people like the LE modules because they are more rare, but any 226/229 Legion would be great. You can't beat that gun, its awesome.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast