Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SME Help needed; Gas Port Size

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    One item that is significantly reduced with very short power time (dwell time) configurations is the ability to function well suppressed and un-suppressed without any other changes.

Drilling out the port without any idea of what size it should be for a given configuration is not recommended.

It is now larger than anyone would have recommended, so don't do any more of that.

The upper may be able to run suppressed and un-suppressed by swapping out the extra strong S42 and or H2 buffer for something normal.

The AGB should be dialed down when the suppressor is attached.
    The initial plan was get it reliable unsuppressed then allow the AGB to be adjusted slightly when suppressed.

Would you recommend dropping to an H buffer or dropping to a mil spec spring or both? I typically favor dropping oscillating mass before reducing spring pressure but…

This is the type of info I was looking for. THANK YOU!
    Last edited by Sparky5019; 10-16-23 at 17:14. Reason: To add.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post

Someone with the title Subject Matter Expert title here doesn't mean they're a SME on ARs. Pretty sure it really just means that they are/were verified SOF.
    I’m not sure they even do that anymore. I asked about it two years ago and never received a reply. Then I noticed that almost no one had it anymore.

Edit: at that time, I discussed this with ST911, and he explained the thing, and told me to contact username: STAFF . STAFF is who did not reply.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-17-23 at 10:42.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    I’m sorry but I do not accept an answer of “just buy a new barrel” without some objective supporting data as an acceptable answer.

This is a technical sub forum. I’m looking for technical data.
    Fair enough. :-)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m not sure they even do that anymore. I asked about it two years ago and never received a reply. Then I noticed that almost no one had it anymore.
    They may not. To be fair my interactions with them years ago were in hyper technical discussions so I may have formed the wrong impression. lol

Clint is definitely an expert on this exact topic and we’ve had similar discussions in years past.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    There are a few of us around still. We are all verified SOF. Most have left and I know the last guy to get added. and that was a very long time ago. There are two reasons for this.

1. the MOD that was actually able to Vet people no longer is here.

2. Most of us do not post much as a bunch of retards love to argue about sh!t they know nothing about, and that gets old real quick.

OP: Just take the hit and get a new barrel. With all of the stuff done to it at a minimum the barrel harmonics are trashed. Unless, it is just a range toy, then keep messing with it and have fun.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    There are a few of us around still. We are all verified SOF. Most have left and I know the last guy to get added. and that was a very long time ago. There are two reasons for this.

2. Most of us do not post much as a bunch of retards love to argue about sh!t they know nothing about, and that gets old real quick.

OP: Just take the hit and get a new barrel. With all of the stuff done to it at a minimum the barrel harmonics are trashed. Unless, it is just a range toy, then keep messing with it and have fun.
    1. Copy that. Thanks.

2. Agreed and I appreciate the info.

We may still get a new barrel but after ADCO recrowned it, it groups better at 50 that before so we’ll play for a bit and see. If the groups had opened up, I’d have shit canned it already but since they got better, we figured it was worth the attempt. Lol

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

1. The .mil provides piles of documentation that’d be easy to redact a bit and use for vetting. But I guess a suitable nerd could make a convincing forgery.

2. That’s actually the only reason I was interested in getting the SME thing here. Dudes that want to argue shit because they took a two day class and wore armor once for fun. Then some poor dude lands on that page via internet search and gets bad advice because he can’t tell who is who. “That dude says he went to a class and deltas (lololol) said this, so it must be right”.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    1. The .mil provides piles of documentation that’d be easy to redact a bit and use for vetting. But I guess a suitable nerd could make a convincing forgery.

2. That’s actually the only reason I was interested in getting the SME thing here. Dudes that want to argue shit because they took a two day class and wore armor once for fun. Then some poor dude lands on that page via internet search and gets bad advice because he can’t tell who is who. “That dude says he went to a class and deltas (lololol) said this, so it must be right”.
    Based on a conversation I had with other people it can be faked very easily....... All of our Como prior to getting vetted was via my SOC.MIL email account.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Gospel.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Based on a conversation I had with other people it can be faked very easily....... All of our Como prior to getting vetted was via my SOC.MIL email account.
    Fair enough. I think for the most part, we know who’s legit around here. Its usually pretty obvious to anyone that knows. Unfortunately, with the flight of SMEs from here, I think fewer and fewer new members will come here for the signal/noise ratio* and hands-on expertise this site was once known for, and we’re looking at a culture shift in this circle.

*ironically, I’m polluting that a bit right now, but there is a reason I haven’t moved this convo to IM or text. And that reason is transparency.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-17-23 at 08:23.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast