Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castle Nut Staking

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm having troubles getting the factory staked castle nut off of my Colt, I think it's because I have a cheap armorer's wrench

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngr188 View Post
    I'm having troubles getting the factory staked castle nut off of my Colt, I think it's because I have a cheap armorer's wrench
    Try flattening the stakes before removing the castle nut with the wrench. A screwdriver or punch and hammer should get the job done. If not a chisel might be necessary.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    HK, those stakes look outstanding.

All I've ever used for staking these is an automatic center punch (cheap Harbor Freight unit), a trick I learned years ago, working on other things. It truly is The Way.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Castle Nut Staking

Here’s my quick job w/ center punch and hammer…been putting it off for too long

Sloppy but functional.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    To pitch an alternative, the PWS enhanced buffer with ratchet lock castle nut does not require staking

https://www.primaryweapons.com/enhan...-and-endplate/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post

Here’s my quick job w/ center punch and hammer…been putting it off for too long

Sloppy but functional.
    Dun!!

Feedback Score
    To undo staked get a chisel or pinchand grind the tip square to fit intom the stake castle and push the stake flat instead of ntrying to break the stake by twisting the nut.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Dremel and cutting wheel. You’re not going to deform them enough to break those stakes. They’re staked with a machine.

I made a staking tool that mimics Colts stakes and even with that, I had to cut the stakes out. In order to break them.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I started using Starret center punches. Way easier, much more precise.

I like to offset the stake from center and try to get the leading edge closest to the castle nut cutout.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I like to offset the stake from center and try to get the leading edge closest to the castle nut cutout.
    That's because you're a thinker. I like to do that as well. I still just club the thing with whatever pointy piece of metal is closest to me though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast