Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recomendations for replaceing barrell shroud.

Feedback Score

recomendations for replaceing barrell shroud.

My brother has an M16 style barrel shroud and he'd like to add a light. I was thinking of getting him a rail system, but I'm not sure I can replace his current shroud. Can I replace this shroud without having to replace the gas block? Any suggestions?

SpikesAR.jpg

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You can put a light on that style of fore end using the TMC Scout Light MOUNT-N-SLOT.

Or it looks like a Magpul SL handguard would fit, which has M-LOK on the sides for e.g. SMCXL Scout Light Mount-N-Slot.

If you actually want a rail there are drop-in options that fit between the delta ring assembly and the front cap.

If you want a free-floating rail and you are willing to cut off the delta ring assembly there are rails that clamp to a mil-spec barrel nut. It will need to slide over the gas block.

Which are you seeking?
    Last edited by Disciple; 10-15-23 at 00:33.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Or it looks like a Magpul SL handguard would fit, which has M-LOK on the sides
    Actually, that MOE is perfect for what I was looking for, thanks for the tip! I already have some extra rail sections that will work with the M-LOK, so all I will need is the light.

Feedback Score
    Hmm. The MOE may not be an option. On their web page it says, "Must be used with the triangular A2 front sight assembly, other gas blocks are not compatible. Factory sling swivel is not compatible and, if equipped, must be removed from the A2 front sight assembly." I sent an email to Magpul to see if this may still be an option for me.

2023 AR-Upper.jpg

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think that may is because it needs the round cap (which you have) typically paired with the A2 FSB. I have one and I cannot see anything that would keep it from fitting around your gas block. At worst you would need to file off a tiny bit of plastic right at the top front where your gas block rail starts but the A2 front sight slopes forward.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The BCM polymer HG may also be an option.

Feedback Score
    So Magpul responded:

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, the SL handguards will not be compatible as they require the A2 front sight. Our MOE MLOK carbine length will be compatible.

https://magpul.com/moem-lokhandguard...h-ar15-m4.html

Heber 

So I placed an order for the MOE M-LOK carbine length guard today.

Thanks all!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I hope it serves your brother well. Nevertheless I question the advice you were given by Magpul as both attach to the same parts (delta ring and front cap). Watch this SL installation video for yourself and judge if there is anything about your upper that would interfere.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Ummm... I would see how easy it is to remove the screws holding that gas block on and if the gas block comes off easily. If so, then make the gun more reliable by replacing the gas block and then adding whatever rail you want.

Although if it runs fine I guess whatever works, works...

Maybe I'm just triggered by that huge thing . It screams bad assembly but hopefully I'm wrong.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Maybe I'm just triggered by that huge thing . It screams bad assembly but hopefully I'm wrong.
    Hahaha, I'm not a big fan either. Thuth is, my brother was diagnosed with Parkinson's, and won't likely be shooting it very often. I just wanted him to have something fun. In addition to the guard, I have a flashlight to add, and installed an older Eotech 512 on the rail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast