Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ 75 vs Beretta 92

Feedback Score
    I have several Beretta 92 variants and several CZ-75 variants. I like them both, but I have to give CZ the edge for accuracy, having a safety that rotates the "correct" way and overall feel. The truth is that you won't go wrong with either. I think the real question is which you should get first. That said, I'll propose another option that combines the Beretta with the manual safety of the CZ. It's the Girsan MC39. They can be had for about $325 and are made every bit as well as Berettas.

Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I've always treated the CZ-75 as a cocked and locked gun that had a re-strike capability.
    This is exactly how one should look at it. Keep in mind that CZ-75's can't be carried with the hammer down and the safety on. It's either hammer back with the safety on or hammer down with the safety off. If you choose the latter option, also keep in mind that you'll have to pull the trigger and manually lower the hammer over a live cartridge. Plenty of people can do this, but it's asking for an accidental discharge in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Thought the CZ compact could definitely work as a CCW. About the same size as a Glock 19 and a bit thinner it felt like.
    The CZ-75 (including the Compact) is a wide pistol due to the inverted rails. Plus, it's heavy for it's size due to the steel frame. There are compact versions available with aluminum frames, but they're even wider. I don't consider it or the Beretta 92 Compact good options for concealed carry, but I carry a Walther PPS. A friend of mine carried the Beretta 92 Compact for years without issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Went to a couple gun stores today and tried both guns back to back. I realized my buddies CZ 75 Compact has some sort of trigger work done. Or it has the Omega trigger in it. I settled on buying a 92X RDO (optic ready model) but apparently NICS was down.

Went home and ordered a 92X RDO Centurion online. Should have it by the weekend.
    Last edited by C-grunt; 10-17-23 at 18:53.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Congrats, I hope it works out well. Now this thread has me mulling over picking up a CZ.

Feedback Score
    Good choice. Have fun shooting it.

Feedback Score
    Great choice!

I prefer the Centurion model myself. (4.25 in barrel, same as the Compact)

Is yours an FS or G?

If it's an FS, you can make it a G with the kit at Berettas website. About $55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Great choice!

I prefer the Centurion model myself. (4.25 in barrel, same as the Compact)

Is yours an FS or G?

If it's an FS, you can make it a G with the kit at Berettas website. About $55.
    It's a FS. G was out of stock. I'll likely switch it in the near future.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Congratulations, are you going RDS or sticking with irons? Yes toss the G in there. I guess ex military guys that trained their ass of with a 92 is more comfortable without the G conversion but was a must for me. A little tiny bit of trigger work makes those triggers pretty darn good. I guess you have to see how it feels first, which is always best.

Good luck.

PB

Feedback Score
    I love CZ's and I love 92's.

The 92 is way easier to work on at home than a CZ. I am always impressed with the simple design of the 92 and ease with which you can replace parts with minimal effort. Swapping in a G conversion sucks but is absolutely necessary. It only sucks because the springs and detents are microscopic small. So small that Beretta packs 2 of each in the kit. That being said, just do the install inside a large ziplock bag.

I can give no edge to either for accuracy. They both are way more accurate than the shooter. Ergonomics go to the CZ. That grip shape is famous and often copied for a reason. I am a CZ decocker guy, I find the placement of the decocker ideal for my hand. The Beretta system is not nearly so user friendly for most. Once you convert to G though, that complaint pretty much ceases to be an issue so perhaps a draw on this one.

Beretta parts and mags are out there in droves. Cheap and plentiful. Beretta win.

Aftermarket is good for both, still easier to find Beretta parts and holsters.

Out of the box I think it is an easy win for Beretta. Most CZ's until you get to the pricier models really benefit from a trigger job (Cajun is my drug of choice there). If I had to stay stock, I would go Beretta without blinking. With a trigger job the ergos of the 75. are really good.

Can't go wrong either way. I do think the durability edge goes to Beretta. Lots of roll pins and springs that break more often on the CZ. If I was going to only have one with minimal support available I would get a Beretta 92X in whatever flavor you prefer. The Vertec frame is more forgiving of smaller hand size and they have really upped their out of box triggers in this model.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I have several Beretta 92 variants and several CZ-75 variants. I like them both, but I have to give CZ the edge for accuracy, having a safety that rotates the "correct" way and overall feel. The truth is that you won't go wrong with either. I think the real question is which you should get first. That said, I'll propose another option that combines the Beretta with the manual safety of the CZ. It's the Girsan MC39. They can be had for about $325 and are made every bit as well as Berettas.

This is exactly how one should look at it. Keep in mind that CZ-75's can't be carried with the hammer down and the safety on. It's either hammer back with the safety on or hammer down with the safety off. If you choose the latter option, also keep in mind that you'll have to pull the trigger and manually lower the hammer over a live cartridge. Plenty of people can do this, but it's asking for an accidental discharge in my opinion.

The CZ-75 (including the Compact) is a wide pistol due to the inverted rails. Plus, it's heavy for it's size due to the steel frame. There are compact versions available with aluminum frames, but they're even wider. I don't consider it or the Beretta 92 Compact good options for concealed carry, but I carry a Walther PPS. A friend of mine carried the Beretta 92 Compact for years without issue.
    I have a Girsan Regard and concur they are very well made. Two strikes against them though; they don't have a "safety" hammer pin to retain the rear of a broken slide (minor concern) and the locking blocks, a wear item, do not interchange with the 92.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-27-23 at 08:11.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    CZ 75s are not wide.

I'd much rather drop the hammer on a live round with a CZ 75 than carry appendix. Decocking safely is not that difficult when you know how and take care.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast