Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rt1500 xl650

Feedback Score

Rt1500 xl650

I’m looking at getting a rt1500 for my 650 to trim 556 and 308win. Do I need a specific toolhead and specific dies for each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    No a specific tool head is not needed, Trim dies are needed for each cartridge you plan to trim.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktail 8541 View Post
    No a specific tool head is not needed, Trim dies are needed for each cartridge you plan to trim.
    Ok thanks.

Feedback Score
    I use one on my XL650 to trim 5.56.

I suggest a universal decap die in station 1, and once you get the size trim die set lock it down tight. That RT1500 has some torque and will screw up your size/trim die setting for headspace if not locked down very firmly.

Strongly suggest you dedicate a toolhead to just decap, size, and trim. Once you get it set up you will not want to have to repeat it. You’ll also need case gauges for each caliber to get correct headspace.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I use one on my XL650 to trim 5.56.

I suggest a universal decap die in station 1, and once you get the size trim die set lock it down tight. That RT1500 has some torque and will screw up your size/trim die setting for headspace if not locked down very firmly.

Strongly suggest you dedicate a toolhead to just decap, size, and trim. Once you get it set up you will not want to have to repeat it. You’ll also need case gauges for each caliber to get correct headspace.
    I just decap and resize on the same station currently. So get a universal in station 1, resize station 2, and trim in 3 or 4 then? My issue is I’m going to be doing 308 and 556 and I do not want to buy two trimmers. Is this doable how I want to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Universal decap in station 1.

Size/trim die in station 4 probably. The RT1500 is a big beefy bastard, and will eat up a lot of space on top of your tool head.

You will need to buy a Dillon size/trim die instead of a conventional sizing die for each cartridge. The top of these dies have a threaded outside diameter for the RT1500 to thread onto, and ports cut out of the sides of the threaded OD for evacuating brass shavings. The RT1500 comes with a plastic manifold that attaches just under the trimmer around the exposed portion of the top of the size/trim die, you hook a shop vac up to the manifold and it sucks all the shavings out. These are full length body/neck resizing dies only no decap or neck expansion.

The RT1500 itself can easily be transferred from size/trim die to another size trim die and threaded on. Trim length is adjusted by threading it down to desired case length, and running the jam nut up to lock it in place. Note the carbide blade on the RT1500 is triangular and oriented in such a way that it will slightly chamfer the outside edge of the brass as it trims.

In operation your tool head punches out old primers, and then sizes and trims brass in one step.

I find it best to do batches of 400 to 500 at a time, and then you’ve got a ready supply of brass at your disposal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktail 8541 View Post
    No a specific tool head is not needed...
    Right, but toolheads are cheap, and setting dies is a waste of time, so do buy a toolhead for each caliber.

Feedback Score
    He asked if they are needed. They are handy, but not essential . Mine is set up on a Dillon 1050 and I have one tool head that I use for case prep. I use Hornady lock rings for my dies. I also do not mined taking the time to fine tune before a big batch of processing.

Feedback Score
    With the current price of primers I haven’t done much 5.56 brass processing or loading.

I’m not keen to waste $.06-$.09 per primer on 5.56mm ammo when I can just buy it loaded. Once I factor in my time it’s tough to justify right now.

Feedback Score
    So I got the 1500 yesterday. I trimmed 308, my lengths were 2.006-2.008. I wanted them to .008.

After trimming, do I have to use an m die to properly expand the neck? I was hoping I could just use the expander ball on my Redding fl die. Obviously I would chamfer/debur. I’ve been told I can’t that I have to use the m die, then taper crimp. I ran a sized, trimmed case though with just the expander ball but only had it expanded to .303.

What do I need to do to get the right? It’s for a 700 5r rifle.

For 556 I’m ok because I’ll trim, m die, crimp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast