Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rt1500 xl650

Feedback Score
    An interference fit of .005” seems a bit tight. Sweet spot is probably .003” to .002”, so it sounds like you need a mandrel die.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    An interference fit of .005” seems a bit tight. Sweet spot is probably .003” to .002”, so it sounds like you need a mandrel die.
    Any specific you could recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I use a Lyman M die on my XL650 for 5.56mm but I honestly don’t know what the diameter is. I run it in station 1 on the final load tool head that way it cleans up and ever so slightly bells the case mouth after the cases come out of a stainless steel media tumble to get all the case lube off from resizing.

My other mandrel die is a Short Action Customs modular full length resizing die for Creedmoor cartridges. I’m currently loading 6.5 Creedmoor with it using a .289” OD neck sizing/shoulder bump insert combined with an optional .2610” carbide expander mandrel in place of the de-capping pin. I arrived there because my fired cases come out at .292” OD fired, and loaded rounds are about .291” so the brass gets sized down enough to have proper hold on the bullet but not get over worked. The expander mandrel is barely working the Lapua or Federal brass I’ve resized so far. Can for sure feel it opening up the Nosler brass because that stuff has much thicker brass in the neck, so the .289” neck die is getting it “tight”.

Obviously I can’t run a trimmer on the SAC die, so if I were buying a stand alone neck mandrel die I would choose one that opens the neck up to .002”-.003” under bullet diameter and call it a day.

I considered buying a Cortina Precision die for this but elected to just used the modular nature of the SAC die and save a spot in the tool head of my Redding T7. You could easily run a mandrel of your choice on a final load tool head. If you figure out a way to mount a mandrel die on the case prep tool head let me know!

Feedback Score
    Is it only me, or do 650s that have sat for awhile have gremlins that show up? It seems it takes mine about 200 rds to really warm up and everything to play nice.

When I’m using it constantly it is fine, but if it has sat, damn it takes awhile to get the kinks worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I don’t usually have issues with mine, I have issues with ME.

It takes me a bit to get back in the rhythm of running production on mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12