Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Engaving

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    I was in the same boat at first. Then I thought about it; I already have several silencers and SBRs so it's not like I don't have anything registered with the Nazis. So screw it, this is like having a factory SBR.
    I can understand someone who has no NFA items not wanting to get on that radar. However, for someone like me who has several, adding three more was no big deal. I would have eventually SBR'd them anyway. I certainly wouldn't have proven anything by refusing the amnesty and then paying the feds $200 each + the engraving costs.

The gun effectively becomes a factory SBR.
    Exactly. I now have three of these that were never available as factory SBR's. The pistol brace ban is BS, but this is the silver lining if there is one.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Honestly the time waste in the process of SBR is the drag for me. I'd do another couple of SBRs in a heartbeat for $200 each if it wasn't for the bullshit, time wasting, bureaucracy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Honestly the time waste in the process of SBR is the drag for me. I'd do another couple of SBRs in a heartbeat for $200 each if it wasn't for the bullshit, time wasting, bureaucracy.
    Same. I would pay the stupid f***ing tax if i could walk out of the dealer with it same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Well, technically they do. It's just that the ATF allows the engraving that's already on the firearm to be adopted. If an individual made the firearm receiver himself, then he would have to engrave it with his personal information. See question (30) for the ATF's exact wording.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/un...ide-2/download
    Yes, that's correct. Thank you for clarifying.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    +1 for Veritas
    +1 for Tar Heel

+10 for finding someone local and avoiding the shipping idiocy

I drove to Tar Heel to pick up a suppressor and had them engrave something else at the same time. Took 10 min max and looks great.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    +1 for Veritas
    +1 for Tar Heel

+10 for finding someone local and avoiding the shipping idiocy

I drove to Tar Heel to pick up a suppressor and had them engrave something else at the same time. Took 10 min max and looks great.
    That's part of why I haven't done mine yet, I keep debating driving there but its a solid four hours one way. Its long enough that I'm not sure if its worth it.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That's part of why I haven't done mine yet, I keep debating driving there but its a solid four hours one way. Its long enough that I'm not sure if its worth it.
    There are at least a half dozen guys within 45 minutes of me, thankfully. I found a guy who runs an FFL out of his house a couple miles away, and he also has a laser engraver and does Cerakote. Took just a few minutes on both of my lowers. Both engraved in the trigger guard.

I found him by doing an FFL search in my area. You might have some luck doing the same thing unless you're completely out in the sticks.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    On this topic, what's the (aesthetically) preferred location for engraving an AR15 lower? I've seen them on the sides, in the flare of the magwell, inside the trigger guard, front of the receiver, etc. I'm leaning towards in the flare of the magwell but worry it might get defaced by mag insertions.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Same. I would pay the stupid f***ing tax if i could walk out of the dealer with it same day.
    I can even tolerate the wait to some extent. The bullshit hoops which are a duplication of what I've already done for prior NFA items is the problem.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've used Tar Heel State Firearms before, and they did an awesome job.

This time I went to a place more local, 30min vs 3 hours. I'll pick up the receiver tomorrow and see how good a job they did.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast