Thread: SCAR 17 NRCH, deal or no?

Feedback Score

SCAR 17 NRCH, deal or no?

BLUF:

Have the chance to buy a NIB Black SCAR 17 NRCH for $3300 after taxes. Is the SCAR a good deal at this price? Is the SCAR still relevant today or would my money be better spent on another .308 battle rifle? Just looking for a very reliable .308, that will hold under 2 moa, also I will be shooting 400yds and under typically.

Thank You
    Last edited by ken80; 10-30-23 at 07:09. Reason: clarification in text

Feedback Score
    I really like my SCAR 17. My wife reallly likes hers too. She uses hers mostly for hunting. As far as price? Well thats in the eye of the beholder.The cost is really the only minus to the SCAR 17. I feel like all the SCARs, and I have all of them except the 15p, need a Geisslie trigger and updated handgaurds. The cheese graders rails suck. Parker Mountain machine and KDG have great offerings. I just finished shooting a two day, 8 stage match with 5min par times using my 17. I was the only .308 in the mix and I feel this rifle does a good job keeping up with AR-15 even in close burner stages. The main limiting factor is the 20rd mag, when most are running a D60. The SCAR 17 is my " if I can only have one" rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the SCAR is still the best .308 battle rifle on the market. It's considerably lighter than many AR-10s out there, and is (in my opinion) superior in quality most other designs. Price really isn't too bad these days, about what I paid for my FDE SCAR a decade ago. Plenty of aftermarket support right now, including mags from KDG. (no clue on the quality of those mags though). I'd say jump on it if you're looking for a good .308 battle rifle.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It’s an amazing battle rifle. Btw, the gun is also moa w/ match ammo (although you will probably need to swap the trigger)Fair deal.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agree with everything above. Great rifle. You're going to hear a lot of bitching about how it comes configured, and suppressor use voiding the warranty, blah, blah, blah... None of that changes the fact that it is one of the best battle rifles available, and a great base rifle from which to build upon.

Oh, and $3200 is a pretty good deal. At $3100, I won a GunBroker auction for one of the new SCAR 6.5 Creedmoor DMRs and felt a little guilty about it...
    Last edited by JPB; 10-30-23 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just wanted to follow up on this conversation after some experience with FN customer service. At this point I would not recommend purchasing anything from FN as your primary firearm. I tried to purchase a buttstock assembly (plastic non serialized part) for one of my three SCAR rifles. Despite supporting FN through the purchase of what amounts to more than $10K in FN rifles, and despite FN pumping out truck loads of these rifles every month for retail sale (so no shortage of parts), they refused to offer me an avenue where I might be able to purchase a replacement buttstock assembly from them. Despite having sold the standard buttstock assemblies through their eStore in the past (and currently selling the SSR stock in their eStore), they deflected to Midwest Gun Works as their distribution avenue for this part. Midwest has been OOS forever on standard SCAR buttstocks. FN customer service declined to to advise when they might be back in stock.

All this to say, be careful with purchasing from FN. Depending on what is in stock, a plastic non-serialized part is all that is keeping your $3000-$3500 rifle from becoming a paper weight. That being said, I cannot recommend the SCAR as your primary battle rifle. Go with something that is better supported by the manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    That sounds like Beretta. Thank God Berettas are such reliable, bombproof guns because their customer service sucks donkey testicles. They sold me a pistol where the slide finish was FALLING OFF in chunks after less than two months of ownership and they refused to service it (we don't warranty cosmetic issues). I told them I wasn't some wuss who whines if his gun gets scratched or the parts are mismatched, the finish was literally coming off in little sheets (slide). Finally I was able to shame them into doing something but it changed my attitude about recommending Beretta (and I think Beretta may be the best gun maker on earth). HK was that way back in the 80s and 90s but somewhere in the mid 00s they really turned around.

UGH.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Concur on HK. Recently had a customer service transaction with HK. Couldn't be happier, outstanding in every regard.