Thread: Help with a shotgun forend

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Help with a shotgun forend

So I have this SBS: https://www.mossberg.com/590a1-class...hot-51689.html

Love the gun but not really liking the furniture. I can replace the stock easily enough, but from what I understand the forend is a bit of a challenge

I would really like the Magpul forend but my understanding is that it is incompatible with 14" barrels. From magpul's website:
    *NOTE: Not compatible with the optional Mossberg heatshield, removal is required before use. Also not compatible with 14" 590 Shockwave, 500, 535, Maverick 88, and AOW models.

That being said, I'm seeing images of it on Google, but cannot find any instructions on how it was done.

Anyone here done this before or know someone who has? I'm hesitant to start disassembling stuff until I have a plan...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads...ckwave.541572/

Don't have a 500 series, looks like part of both the handguard and anti rotation have to be turned down. I'd contact this poster.

Al

Feedback Score
    I basically followed this video...

It's not hard, just a "Dremel, then test fit...Dremel some more, test fit...Dremel even more, aaaand test fit..." job.

Also, GG&G sells a pre-modded version if you prefer not to try it on your own...

https://www.gggaz.com/magpul-forearm...shockwave.html
    Last edited by kwb377; 11-01-23 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That could work! I emailed GGG and supposedly it fits. Ordered it and will try it out. Thanks for the link!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    That could work! I emailed GGG and supposedly it fits. Ordered it and will try it out. Thanks for the link!!!!
    Just be aware that if you use any type of mount (light, sling, etc.) that goes under the mag cap, it won't work with the GG&G version. I modded mine by taking more material from the rear than the front so it sat further back on the slide tube.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    Just be aware that if you use any type of mount (light, sling, etc.) that goes under the mag cap, it won't work with the GG&G version. I modded mine by taking more material from the rear than the front so it sat further back on the slide tube.
    Did you modify the GGG one or a stock Magpul?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Did you modify the GGG one or a stock Magpul?
    I started with a stock Magpul forend.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    I started with a stock Magpul forend.
    I did it! Came out really nice. Thanks for the advice!