Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Power Experts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I'm not sure about the meaning of the serial numbers, but the one they have pictured has an aluminum frame as opposed to the typical steel frame. That's definitely a plus when it comes to desirability.

The ones that Arms Unlimited is selling appear to be the Mk II versions. They typically have to be worked on to get them to 100% reliability. The later Mk III versions are good to go right out of the box plus the sights and safety are better.
    The alloy frames were cool, but(based on everything I have read) were not long term durable.

Allegedly the MkIII cast frame came about when they did the .40 S&W and carried it over to 9mm due to being more durable than their forged frames. Forged frames are smooth machined on the bottom of the heel(behind the mag well) while the cast frames have a textured appearance.

Another thumbs up to the MkIII being set on sights, safety, hammer profile that won't nip most hands, and pretty much every bullet shape friendly feed ramp. The mag disconnect is on almost all of them, but is simple to remove.

From what I recall, MkIII is no firing pin safety while MkIIIS has it in place. Not sure of any external cues to look for on determining which it is.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-03-23 at 07:58.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    “…….. appear to be the Mk II versions. They typically have to be worked on to get them to 100% reliability.”

Balderdash. I’d never even heard this one before. One of the strong points of any P35 was, they always went BANG.

The T and C series guns were forged frame pistols. These were the first external extractor guns and were considered some of the finest, best finished guns produced by FN. (Obviously the “Browning” guns were produced by FN as well)

The mk 2 guns were also forged frame but had slides with a “rib” and milled/non removable front sights. The examples I’d seen all were Parkerized, not Blued.

The mk 3 guns were cast frames that (allegedly) handled the more extreme pressures of the .40 S&W and subgun 9mm which the Brits were supposedly firing in their issued P 35’s.
    The older, forged frame guns were not holding up to the the increased pressures of .40 S&W and +P+{?) ammo, hence introduction of cast frames. I’d imagine the cast frame guns were cheaper to produce as well.

There’s a noticeable difference in girth of the forged vs. cast grips, subtle but noticeable. The cast frames are obviously thicker.

I looked on Arms Unlimited web sight HK. I couldn’t even FIND a P35, but I’m old and not tech savvy.
    FWIW; I could never leave a P35 I owned alone, with a NINE pound SA trigger being within specs, I always improved my pistols so they were more “shootable”.
    As all gun guys know, this always ended up going down the Rabbit Hole…..
    I am FAR from an SME on this platform, but I’ve owned and “improved” a number of them.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    FWIW; I could never leave a P35 I owned alone, with a NINE pound SA trigger being within specs, I always improved my pistols so they were more “shootable”..
    That's what interests me about the SA. The video I watched had a 5 lb pull with a nice break. Of course one had to port the barrel and slide too!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's what interests me about the SA. The video I watched had a 5 lb pull with a nice break. Of course one had to port the barrel and slide too!
    Duh. Mo/Betta/Fasta/Further Mark.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'm a long way from being an expert, but I do love a nice P35.

I had the SA-35 for about 8 months or so. Paid $700 plus tax. It was 100% reliable in the 800 rounds or so I put through it. No extraction issue like I've read on the internet. I trusted it enough to carry. The sights are good so the owner (unless he's a snob) won't need to replace them, they shoot to the point of aim for me. The trigger felt approximately 5.5 to 6 lb with a little creep. Thumb safety was dragging a bit but got a little better as it was broken in.

The built in beavertail was a good and bad. The good was that it prevented hammer bite, yes hammer bite happens. Years ago I had a stock Browning Hi Power, if I wasn't careful when I draw and fire, the hammer will let me know. For those that do not have the hammer bite problem, they are lucky. The extended beavertail on the SA-35 does have a reputation of having sharp edges. Some sanding and cold blued pen helped.

I let it go as I already have a custom Browning. I got what I needed out of the Springfield. But I recommend it.

Primary Arms have them in stock currently.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Springfi...In_Stock_Email

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I found a Gunbroker listing from an FFL who appears to be her in AZ. When I can log in at home, I might see if he has a face to face/Storefront option.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I looked on Arms Unlimited web sight HK. I couldn’t even FIND a P35, but I’m old and not tech savvy.
    ARMS Unlimited Link

Assorted configurations (sights, grips, finish type), clean condition, low round count, original matching serial numbers with correct grips. Includes 1x magazine. European police trade-ins. Made in Belgium
    I've scored some sleeper good items on previous police trade ins. I'll see what I get with this one.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-03-23 at 14:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    “…….. appear to be the Mk II versions. They typically have to be worked on to get them to 100% reliability.”

Balderdash. I’d never even heard this one before. One of the strong points of any P35 was, they always went BANG.

Can't recall if it carried over to the MkII, but earlier pistols had a hump in the feed ramp that could be a problem with hollow points. Not sure why the hump was there because removing the hump to feed jhp didn't cause feeding issues with ball ammo.

Other than that somewhat niche issue(that wasn't an issue for the first few decades of production) they are very reliable.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Got it HK, thank you.

Link to a thread on Hi Power Collector Forum.
    Scroll halfway down to Sub MOA Post.
    Very detailed info.

https://highpowercollectors.proboard...te-manufacture

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Got it HK, thank you.

Link to a thread on Hi Power Collector Forum.
    Scroll halfway down to Sub MOA Post.
    Very detailed info.

https://highpowercollectors.proboard...te-manufacture
    Thanks, quite informative.

So, it appears the 215 prefix I bought should be a 71/73, probably produced in the 70's, which is perfect and pretty much what I wanted. A clean example would be nice, but I'd be happy with character as well. Will be interesting to see how AU handles the import marks, I've never bought an import from them.

I'll post a picture when I transfer it, but that won't be soon as I'm at my hunting property until December-ish.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast