Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPVO plus offset or piggyback RDS - Why?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

LPVO plus offset or piggyback RDS - Why?

Let’s assume we are talking about quality LPVO’s with a nice 1x. Think Kahles, Trijicon Accupoint, Vortex PST2/Razor, etc

Years ago, I started messing with more non-1x options to save weight and gain magnification. The PST2 was ridiculously heavy, and the 1-4x options didn’t give the magnification I wanted. I still really like my Leupold 3-9x. I’ve gotten comfortable rolling the gun to take near shots. It’s fast. But with options now at 1-8x (or-10x) SFP or FFP and super flat 1x…I am reconsidering this. For weight, a Kahles K18i is on par with the Leupold VX-R Patrol Firedot 3-9x plus offset 507C. But, there are fewer variables. The only benefit I get from using an offset dot with the Kahles is an optic with much better battery life. So if the K dot dies and I don’t want to just use the reticle unilluminated, the offset dot is “always” there.

Do you still run an extra dot? Do you piggyback or offset? Why?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Weight, cost, nv use, and optics.
    Rds are better at 1x and a bigger objective is better at high mag all things equal.
    I run a vxr patrol 1.25-4 and am about to throw an sro on the top for better 1x and nvg use.
    A good lightweight 2-12xor 3-15x with good reticle and top rds would be optimal for 556 IMO

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I can see it with your setup. I ran the VX-R this summer, but the 1.25 (I would bet a dollar it is higher than that) magnification through me off enough that I used an offset dot 99% of the time. That optic is 11.5oz, so even with a RDS it is less than most LPVO’s.

But that’s also why I called out true 1x and focused on the higher magnification ranges, when you’re approaching or equal the upper magnification of 3-9 and 2-10 optics.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I use an RMR at the 12 o'clock for Passive NVG use. I do not use it for anything other than Night Vision shooting. No real need.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Do you still run an extra dot? Do you piggyback or offset? Why?
    Piggy Back and Offset dots or irons SUCK us as bad as the LBGTQ scope spun down to zero. I personally would never waste the bread on them. My closest personally owned set up is the TA01NSN with the back up irons. They aren't worth a shit. Someone would have to be so close that you'd just "point shoot" anyway.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mag glass + small RDS is a good setup. Piggyback or offset by need or preference. Highly usable, and not just close/room range. Know your gear.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score

LPVO plus offset or piggyback RDS - Why?

I have been using the 1.25-4 patrol for years actually upgrading to the patrol hd with the zero stop and tmr reticle. I looked at others in the 1-6 and more range but I have had great luck with this optic. It’s a n my main run and gun rifle indoor matches, outdoor 2 gun events never felt the 4 power top end a hindrance. I am pairing it with a red dot as soon as I find a mount. What I have done is got a scope case and have a patrol 3-9 on a larue mount. I can just switch scopes. Plus the red dot will just stay on the gun. That’s the solution I came up with. Works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Seems that a piggybacked RDS with an LPVO is definitely gaining popularity, and the Brits went with that setup on their new KAC KS-1 setups. I've been running a Primary Arms Platinum PLx 1-8 LPVO for years now, and never felt i needed an additional red dot, as my 1x seems very close to true 1x, and isn't hard to switch quickly with the throw lever.

That being said, a piggybacked RDS is definitely nice for running passive NV, and the red dot is also probably quicker if you have to transition from medium range engagements to CQB engagements immediately, and don't want to take your support hand off the gun to adjust the magnification.

Feedback Score
    I see them for more use with NV, or if you are rocking a MPVO like a 3-18x where getting that quick target acquisition is difficult.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Personally, I like the setup for rapid transitions. I can my magnified optic on an upper setting and still go 1x without modifying my grip. Likewise with NV I can set my mag optic to 1x and go from NV to white light instantly by peering under my NODS or using the opposite eye depending on situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast