Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What can would you buy?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    This is also something I figured would happen...if you choke the tube down, the gas has to go somewhere so I figured down the bore and out the port would be the next likely place. Have you played with any of the gas bleed BCG setups? And seal off the charging handle?
    I actually don't think the gas tube is exacerbating the gas coming down the bore in any way. That's simply a "feature" of traditional baffled cans, as they essentially work by trapping gas in the baffles. If you're firing rapidly,the gas doesn't have the opportunity to bleed off through the muzzle and will back up and escape into the breach as the action cycles. Bleeding gas off with a Superlative Arms gas block won't make any noticeable difference here.

I do have Geissele and BCM charging handles, so I'm not sure if they make any difference, but I don't notice any gas escaping via that route. What I mostly notice is gas coming from the ejection port.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Full-size?

You want right, authentic, effective, and best-value per dollar?

The AEM5 or whatever they call it today. Old-timey construction and weight, the OPSINC suppressor is still the yardstick. A few bought by USSOCOM in the 80s are still in service.

Heavy, gassy, and the quietest (perceived by the ear) still in production (now by Trajectory Arms out of Utah) for under a thousand bucks.

You may need an adaptor or a 14.5 barrel.

Feedback Score
    If you're considering YHM (whom I love) I would throw Otter Creek Labs Polonium line into the mix as well. The problem is their full size can on an SBR is going to be gassy. You can mitigate that with a BRT etc etc. Their K can really shines on SBRs. All the Polonium's are HUB and I ended up using the Rearden mounts (Plan B.) And the sound and signature suppression, as much as it pains me to say, really out performs YHM at a similar price point.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Someone told me the OSS/Hux K 3D can runs better on an SBR than on longer guns. ie is more hush hush. Said it needs the umph from the short barrel to work most properly. Anyone read or hear this?

I'm kinda leaning towards the tried and true SF SOCOM , not the new one, or the OSS K 3D guy. God only knows what I'll do. I have a direct thread Sig 556 can I might give a whirl. Its on a Bolt gun that I could toss an OLD AAC M4 2K on and do just fine.

Or I could spend $6K on a Knights can. I wish I bought two when they were available back in the day.

Sinister, that is cool old war horse, kinda big for my taste but Im sure very hush hush.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    We just finished a T&E on a Hux 556k can, and one of our officers has the full size. I also went to Centrifuge Low Light Instructor with 5 deputies that were all issued the 556k can. We are very interested in picking a few up.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I got the impression here at M4C that SPL should not be the 1st consideration for can used on a 5.56 AR. Backpressure, available mounting, size, weight, etc are more important. Am I wrong?

I will join the wait for a license in early 2024. I am interested in suppressing 5.56, primarily at the range where ear pro will be worn in any case.

Two things have been holding me back - wait time will drive me nuts, and the fear of waiting nearly a year to buy the "wrong" can that I am now basically stuck with for life.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I got the impression here at M4C that SPL should not be the 1st consideration for can used on a 5.56 AR. Backpressure, available mounting, size, weight, etc are more important. Am I wrong?

I will join the wait for a license in early 2024. I am interested in suppressing 5.56, primarily at the range where ear pro will be worn in any case.

Two things have been holding me back - wait time will drive me nuts, and the fear of waiting nearly a year to buy the "wrong" can that I am now basically stuck with for life.

Andy
    Wait times seem to vary. I had 4 cans approved in less than 6 months this year. A few in 90 days. Then there are guys out there who have been waiting a year.

My advice is do your research and then make a decision. Don't get caught in analysis paralysis. Cans are like houses. You buy your first one thinking you know what you want in a house only to find out you didn't really know at all. Your first house tells you what to look for in your second house. I still like my first can and use it all the time. But it taught me a bunch about what I wanted in my next can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

Andy
    What do you want it to do?
    Be quiet for you shooting
    Quiet for those around?
    Quiet for the target?
    How critical is weight and length?
    Is it going on a rifle youll do mag dumps with?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Wait times seem to vary. I had 4 cans approved in less than 6 months this year. A few in 90 days. Then there are guys out there who have been waiting a year.

My advice is do your research and then make a decision. Don't get caught in analysis paralysis. Cans are like houses. You buy your first one thinking you know what you want in a house only to find out you didn't really know at all. Your first house tells you what to look for in your second house. I still like my first can and use it all the time. But it taught me a bunch about what I wanted in my next can.
    This guy gets it. I own several different cans and the wait times will vary. Believe it or not, it helps to have 2 or 3 in the waiting room, that's been my experience. I'm currently waiting on a Silencerco Velos LBP. I tried it at two different range days and they're not kidding about the low back pressure on that model. Worth considering.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    What do you want it to do?
    Be quiet for you shooting
    Quiet for those around?
    Quiet for the target?
    How critical is weight and length?
    Is it going on a rifle youll do mag dumps with?
    I am interested in a suppressor to make (multiple) ARs quieter for the shooter and nearby folks. Noise at target is not a consideration. Size and weight are important considerations - I would trade effectiveness to gain a shorter/lighter suppressor over longer/heavier one.

Occasional mag dumps are possible but only one mag and occasional.

Can would be used on my "home defense" rifle, but not the primary motivation. Would use the can on 4+ ARs, so mount cost and availability is a factor.

If I have a can, I will build an 11.3" SBR AR using the barrel from an AR pistol I decommisioned.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-29-23 at 00:14.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast