Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Why rattle can paint instead of Duracoat, et al.?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowspirit View Post
    Those springs are flat wire ones, though the steel is common stainless. I wonder how much longer they last in flat wire form.
    Not sure, but when I take them apart about every year or two I don't notice any changes in length. Factory/regular cs/ss springs will start to vary in a year. I'm not sure at what point standard cs/ss springs start to fail in terms of compressed length/lack of compressability/lack of rebound ability. I haven't measured those factors.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To answer the original question, I had my Colt 1911 cerokoted some years back, it looked good for a while. The guy who did it coated the feed ramp and breach face which immediately started to chip off and feeding issues. I had another smith polish it off. The cerokote began to wear off in the high points from the holster, I kept refining my sights and the zero I wanted. Finally found my ideal sight set and a zero that hits where I want out to 50-60 yards. The gun is very reliable, no issues with full power ammo and good mags. I don't want to F it up!!
    The bare steel gets rust spots in this tropical environment. What to do? Rattle can, that's what. Yes, it wears off quickly on the rub points but touching up is easy. It's a bit ugly but it runs and hits where I want. The next time I "refinish" it I'll take some acetone to it to thin out previous coats.

Feedback Score
    Rapco is pretty awesome stuff

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlygunner999 View Post
    Rapco is pretty awesome stuff

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Never heard of it. How much does it cost?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowspirit View Post
    Never heard of it. How much does it cost?
    http://www.rapcoparts.com/spraypaint.html

From what I’ve read shipping is pricey, but it’s a great alternative to Aervoe.

Someone on Reddit made a comparison of the various shades: https://old.reddit.com/r/rattlecanne...le_megathread/
    Last edited by bryan1211; 02-16-24 at 05:14.

Feedback Score
    @bryan1211

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Look for local military vehicle clubs. A lot of times at their flea markets there will be people selling rapco and Aervo spray cans individually and in cartons for much less of what you can order them and have it shipped in small quantities.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Look for local military vehicle clubs. A lot of times at their flea markets there will be people selling rapco and Aervo spray cans individually and in cartons for much less of what you can order them and have it shipped in small quantities.
    Sounds good. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Since Rattle Can is the unanimous winner, here's a tip for you guys. I just did my bolt gun yesterday, and finished it off with some clear matte to give it more durability, and a satin/non-tacky finish:

I've used this product before on other projects and it's pretty good, but I just finished my rattle can job with it on a whim yesterday. Came out nice.

Last edited by markm; 04-05-24 at 18:40.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Aervoe camo may not exist any more. There is a mention of someone getting the slow cure time too.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...paint.7122532/

Any news on how Rapco application cure time goes in humid USA versus arid/desert USA?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast