Thread: So confused. MOA vs MRD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

So confused. MOA vs MRD

Just got back from the range with my son's 6.5 Creedmor. It has a vortex 3-15x44 with MRAD reticle. Turrets are MOA. I have always been a fan of mildot holdover. I have several rifles with mildot that work very well for with a simple holdover. However, this MRAD vortex is frustrating me. For example, this morning at 734 yards, my drop chart showed 6.99 MRADS. I had the scope at maximum 15x, and not even close. Bullet in the dirt. But, cranked in 24.02 MOA and impact. How the hell do I use the MRAD reticle??

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Are you sure? I’m not aware of any factory config from Vortex where the turrets are MOA but the reticle is MIL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The EBR 7 reticle is the image in question. Maybe my confusion is based on an earlier assumption that the reticle is MRAD?

If the turrets are MOA, is the reticle also MOA? A reticle that is MOA makes more sense as intuitively, the holdover never felt high enough this morning based upon my experience shooting the same distances with my mildot scopes.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I agree. I had a Super Sniper with MIL reticle and MOA turrets, but I doubt Vortex would make this type of thing. The fact that the 24 MOA dial worked, tells me that the reticle might not be MIL.

(and at anything beyond a 500 hasty shot, I'm dialing anyway)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    All current 3-15× Vortex riflescopes have adjustments that match their reticle.

RTFM, I guess.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks guys for the reality check. All is good.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It used to be fairly common for makers to do that goofiness, not so much anymore.

"Designed to maximize long-distance shooting and ranging abilities, the EBR-7C MOA reticle can be used to effectively determine ranges, holdovers, windage corrections and moving target leads. Ultra-precision laser etching on the glass reticle ensures that MOA specifications are kept to the tightest tolerances possible".

Is what I'm seeing online.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    It used to be fairly common for makers to do that goofiness, not so much anymore.

"Designed to maximize long-distance shooting and ranging abilities, the EBR-7C MOA reticle can be used to effectively determine ranges, holdovers, windage corrections and moving target leads. Ultra-precision laser etching on the glass reticle ensures that MOA specifications are kept to the tightest tolerances possible".

Is what I'm seeing online.

PB
    The EBR-7C comes in both MRAD and MOA, depending on the model you get. Whether it's MRAD or MOA depends on what the adjustments are.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Good catch. I think I have one that’s MIL. But I know the turrets are. Good sub $300 scope.
    PB