Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope level recommendations

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Badger makes an optic leveling stand that I use in combination with bubbles. I have the Arisaka self leveler kit but haven’t actually used it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't sweat it. Buy an Angle Cube. I originally bought it to put exact edge angles on my knives for sharpening.

Screw bubbles and plumb bobs
    The great thing is, you don't even have to level your gun.
    Just eyeball it.
    Tighten it down in your vise.
    Zero the Angle Cube on your rail
    Then keep the same zero when putting the Angle Cube on your scope and torqueing the rings down
    Accurate to 0.01 degrees
    Easy peasy

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-35-22...st_sto_dp&th=1

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Don't sweat it. Buy an Angle Cube. I originally bought it to put exact edge angles on my knives for sharpening.

Screw bubbles and plumb bobs
    The great thing is, you don't even have to level your gun.
    Just eyeball it.
    Tighten it down in your vise.
    Zero the Angle Cube on your rail
    Then keep the same zero when putting the Angle Cube on your scope and torqueing the rings down
    Accurate to 0.01 degrees
    Easy peasy

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-35-22...st_sto_dp&th=1
    I'm always looking for new / better ideas. Can you put more of the process you use into words? Not following what you are actually doing or how you are using this device.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I'm always looking for new / better ideas. Can you put more of the process you use into words? Not following what you are actually doing or how you are using this device.
    The Angle Cube will zero itself to whatever flat surface you lay it on

So you just tighten your gun into your favorite vise. It doesn't have to be perfectly level, the more important aspect is that it doesn't allow the gun to move.

You put the Angle Cube on the receiver rail or scope rail (whatever flat surface you are zeroing the scope to)and hit the zero button. The Angle Cube will now read 0.00 degrees and will be zeroed to your gun position in the vise.

Mount the scope and put the Angle Cube on the turret. Tighten the rings down with the Angle Cube reading 0.00 (as close as you can get it to 0.00 anyway).

Done.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 11-27-23 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

So you just tighten your gun into your favorite vise. It doesn't have to be perfectly level, the more important aspect is that it doesn't allow the gun to move.

You put the Angle Cube on the receiver rail or scope rail (whatever flat surface you are zeroing the scope to)and hit the zero button. The Angle Cube will now read 0.00 degrees and will be zeroed to your gun position in the vise.

Mount the scope and put the Angle Cube on the turret. Tighten the rings down with the Angle Cube reading 0.00 (as close as you can get it to 0.00 anyway).

Done.
    Thank you. Just ordered one. I have the Arisaka leveler, but unless your mount has a nice flat spot under the turrets it becomes a little bit of a challenge. Even then it could be slightly off. I'm looking forward to trying out your technique as I need to mount a Vortex Razor in a Badger 1.70 mount. And I'm curious to see how close to true the scopes I already have mounted are to the receiver.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 11-28-23 at 00:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Done.
    Thanks man. I'm gonna pick one up as well and try it out. Sounds a lot more simple and potentially easier than my current method for chump change.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Thanks man. I'm gonna pick one up as well and try it out. Sounds a lot more simple and potentially easier than my current method for chump change.
    Not a problem. I like simple too.

You don't even need the new backlit usb model. The older one works just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Angle...02LL0BIC&psc=1
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 11-28-23 at 09:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The plumb bob was mentioned by a few. I carry a plumb bob in my range gear and use it when posting targets at the range. Having the target plumb, or level if you wish, eliminates one source of error when verifying scope tracking.

I've leveled the top scope turret with the rail and still had to make adjustments when verifying scope tracking at the range. If you never shoot beyond 300 yards it's not critical, but you will see tracking errors when making elevation adjustments from a 100-yard zero to a 300-yard target engagement.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    The plumb bob was mentioned by a few. I carry a plumb bob in my range gear and use it when posting targets at the range. Having the target plumb, or level if you wish, eliminates one source of error when verifying scope tracking.

I've leveled the top scope turret with the rail and still had to make adjustments when verifying scope tracking at the range. If you never shoot beyond 300 yards it's not critical, but you will see tracking errors when making elevation adjustments from a 100-yard zero to a 300-yard target engagement.
    How do you ensure that the rifle is perfectly level at the range? Do you have a bubble mounted to it? I'm trying to learn more about this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post

From a physics standpoint this doesn't make sense.

If:
    1. If the scope reticle is perfectly aligned with the scope turret like it supposed to be (reputable manufacturers)
    2. the rail/receiver in relation to the barrel is manufactured like it supposed to be
    3. The scope reticle tracks true like it supposed to
    4. The rifle is shot level like it supposed to be

then everything is in line and should track like a perfect level plumb line.

Which leaves only a few possibilities:

1. The receiver was not lined up perfectly with the scope turret due to manufacturing or installation error
    2. The reticle was not in line with the turret (which would cause other problems when making adjustments)
    3. The rifle was not level when being shot

I'm not doubting your real life experience at that time, it just doesn't make physical sense.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 11-28-23 at 12:05.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast