Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning sludge from my AR

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Cleaning sludge from my AR

So, I have been pulling out some AR's from the back of my safe last couple weeks. This particular LMT MARS lower has sat for probably over a year. When I went to engage, the safety that once upon a time gave a nice "click" when engaging, offered up a mushy- I dont know what. It works its just super mushy and I don't dig it.

I was bit bummed that my very cool lower lost its pop per se. I was considering using some Brakleen to remove the goop. I have a feeling its a combination several lubes/oils that just sat and gooberized. Technical term, I know.

Any opinions on using some brakleen in a very stingy fashion? Or other ideas to unfck my safety/lower.

Thanks guys.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Brake cleaner is fine, even in a large amount. Just make sure that it's chlorinated brake cleaner. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner will react with the aluminum in an adverse way.
    Last edited by TexHill; 11-26-23 at 18:08. Reason: I had it bass ackwards regarding which type you shouldn't use with aluminum.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    Since they have non chlorinated brake cleaner, what is the purpose of chlorinated brake cleaner?

Is brake cleaner better than carburetor cleaner?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    I've been unfkin stuff with simple green for a long time. Pull the parts and soak overnight, brush, compressed air, relube and reassemble. I just got some slip 2000 unfker I'm gonna try but I hate cleaning guns as long as some more oil will do, I have a lot of oil.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Since they have non chlorinated brake cleaner, what is the purpose of chlorinated brake cleaner?

Is brake cleaner better than carburetor cleaner?
    Chlorinated dries faster than non-chlorinated, and the non-chlorinated is more flammable. Chlorinated used to be the standard until some states started banning it due to environmental issues. Brake cleaner does a better job of cutting oil than carb cleaner.
    Last edited by TexHill; 11-26-23 at 17:30.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    PB, forgive me if I'm misremembering, as I may be mixing up whether it was you or Mark who wrote this. As I recall, either you or Mark were using Frog Lube in your ARs. If that is the case, then that is also the culprit. FL is well known to gum things up if not wiped up completely after application. FWIW.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    Brake cleaner is fine, even in a large amount. Just make sure that it's chlorinated brake cleaner. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner will react with the aluminum in an adverse way.
    How will it react? may have used non, asking for an amigo?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    How will it react? may have used non, asking for an amigo?

PB
    I think it stains the coating but I've never had to do it....so do you have any Kroil around?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    I think it stains the coating but I've never had to do it....so do you have any Kroil around?
    I gave everything a good oil rub down with Lucas oil. Hope no damage results.

PB

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    PB, forgive me if I'm misremembering, as I may be mixing up whether it was you or Mark who wrote this. As I recall, either you or Mark were using Frog Lube in your ARs. If that is the case, then that is also the culprit. FL is well known to gum things up if not wiped up completely after application. FWIW.
    I was just telling Mark that might have been the culprit, so in agreement. It looked a lot like some of my MWS BCG's that got polluted a while back before I switched over to Lucas.

PB

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast