Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me chose a new truck

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yoni, based on your last post I'd get a Raptor and call it a day. Best vehicle I've ever owned and never fails to put a smile on my face. The most you'll have to do is put more lights on it and with the AUX switches that is very simple.

30" of snow in 24 hours, booming down the un-plowed dirt roads with the locker on in 4H. The snow was so deep it was coming over the hood and the truck didn't even approach getting stuck.

https://vimeo.com/542756006?share=copy

Last edited by HKGuns; 12-06-23 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    So as of now the plan is get a new 2023 Taco, modify the crap out of it. Drive it and see if it meets my needs. I will start this project after Jan 1.

If I like it fine. If it doesn't scratch the itch enough then I will sell it and get a TRX

Since I wrote the above I have joined Tacomaworld, now I am rethinking the above.

I went through the first 4 pages of vendor reviews and the ones I thought looked good when watching their youtube channels all had complaints.

So I am back to the drawing board.

I would like a Taco that puts out enough ponies to put a smile on my face and lift it with some bigger tires and some new bumpers. I would have thought it was easy now I am not sure.
    If you want "power", stop looking at the Tacoma. Even with the Magnusson Supercharger, it is still a slug. There are some turbo mods that do bring the power up nicely but reliability/tunability is the challenge. If you just want power, go TRX or Raptor(this would be my choice).
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 12-06-23 at 09:38.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Yoni, based on your last post I'd get a Raptor and call it a day. Best vehicle I've ever owned and never fails to put a smile on my face. The most you'll have to do is put more lights on it and with the AUX switches that is very simple.

30" of snow in 24 hours, booming down the un-plowed dirt roads with the locker on in 4H. The snow was so deep it was coming over the hood and the truck didn't even approach getting stuck.

https://vimeo.com/542756006?share=copy

Let us know when the squeaks and rattles start coming though. They are famous for it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    Basic 4x4 Tacomas aren’t “double the low 30s”.

I bought an OR for 36k with a couple added on options. There was an 4x4 SR-5 extended cab for 32k when I bought mine. Friend of mine is looking at a similar model to mine for 39k now. Thats a far cry from the $70k you’re talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You bought a 4x4 Tacoma quad cab SR5 for low 30s in the last 12 months?

That's virtually impossible lately, the distributors are tacking on huge amounts of mandatory add-ons. And then the dealers doing worse.

4x4 double cab SR5 is running 40 to 43K before dealer add-ons and additional dealer profit. You're looking at 50K or more to buy the truck and then still will pay $995 dealer processing fee and stuff like that

Screenshot_20231206_132952_Chrome.jpg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    You bought a 4x4 Tacoma quad cab SR5 for low 30s in the last 12 months?

That's virtually impossible lately, the distributors are tacking on huge amounts of mandatory add-ons. And then the dealers doing worse.

4x4 double cab SR5 is running 40 to 43K before dealer add-ons and additional dealer profit. You're looking at 50K or more to buy the truck and then still will pay $995 dealer processing fee and stuff like that

Screenshot_20231206_132952_Chrome.jpg
    No, I said I bought an OR and there was an SR5 there. My friend is looking at an OR for $39k

50k is not double low 30s and if you’re paying 50k for an SR5, they saw you coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    So as of now the plan is get a new 2023 Taco, modify the crap out of it. Drive it and see if it meets my needs. I will start this project after Jan 1.

If I like it fine. If it doesn't scratch the itch enough then I will sell it and get a TRX

Since I wrote the above I have joined Tacomaworld, now I am rethinking the above.

I went through the first 4 pages of vendor reviews and the ones I thought looked good when watching their youtube channels all had complaints.

So I am back to the drawing board.

I would like a Taco that puts out enough ponies to put a smile on my face and lift it with some bigger tires and some new bumpers. I would have thought it was easy now I am not sure.
    The Tacoma is a good truck, but it sounds like it doesn’t come close to meeting your needs/wants in stock form.

I don’t know what your use case is here, but if a big jacked up truck with bumpers, lift, big tires, fancy shocks, and big power are what you’re after a Tacoma is a poor place to start.

If you have the means get a vehicle that is already as close as possible to what you’re looking for off the assembly line. It might be all you need, and if not it will usually make a better vehicle to modify.

Also for your consideration some of the HD trucks can be had with some off road goodies. If you want big diesel power and towing with your off road ability something like a Silverado 2500 ZR2 with multimatic shocks and AEV bumpers/skids etc might entertain you. GMC makes a twin to that truck that is a bit more luxurious.

Feedback Score
    The Taco isn't going to fit that bill. Don't get me wrong, it's a great truck, but it's not what you said you wanted. Add me to the Raptor club. I'm on my second one now. Never had a problem. First one was the big V8, currently have the 2020 Eco, which will run circles around the V8. Only traded the V8 in because I was able to get a new one almost for free during the height of Covid.

Haters are going to hate. It's a great form of jealousy. Yes, like any other vehicle in production anywhere in the world they have problems from time to time. Nothing is perfect. I can't think of another truck that will perform the way this one will for the same price though.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Let us know when the squeaks and rattles start coming though. They are famous for it.
    Horse-Shit.

Mine is a 2017, first year of the Gen 2 and it has zero squeaks and rattles and has had zero maintenance issues.

Plus, it will blow the doors off a helluva lot of "sports" cars off the line and most of them know it.

If we're going to start slinging mud, maybe we should talk about the 135 HP, 1990's engines in the Toyota trucks?

ETA: I did replace the battery at the beginning of this year and put a set of new K02's the year before.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-06-23 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    The CyberTruck is pistol round proof…
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The CyberTruck is pistol round proof…
    That will come in handy when you use it as a truck hauling or towing, and the battery quits after 80 miles stranding you in a bad neighborhood.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast