Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: DRACOs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,725
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    DRACOs

    Thinking about DRACOs and whether it even makes sense to consider a mini at all. The std DRACO is basically a military model in semi auto.

    The mini barrel is so short along with the gas system that it requires a buffer to keep the piston from short stroking. Do folks consider this a complete non-starter? (I did read a review in which the pistol chewed up the buffer after just 300 rounds - still funcitoned but regular replacement is likely required.

    I do like the SHORT system, but maybe this is not advisable.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,791
    Feedback Score
    0
    While I'm a complete AK whore, I just can't bring myself to buy a mini Draco. I do really like my SBR'd underfolding Draco.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33,684
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    While I'm a complete AK whore, I just can't bring myself to buy a mini Draco. I do really like my SBR'd underfolding Draco.
    I'm with Bret, but I made mine a side folder.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,791
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you can swap out the rear underfolder trunnion for a regular rear trunnion, I think that the side folder is more functional and looks better. Here's my underfolder.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,221
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here is a Vector semi auto AK that I bought about 9 years ago:


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,725
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Almost got the mini, but in the end, I could not bring myself to rely on a buffer to operate and not go with a "military version".

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33,684
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    Almost got the mini, but in the end, I could not bring myself to rely on a buffer to operate and not go with a "military version".
    Good call.

    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,725
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I still think there is a sweet spot that CAI should have gone to - like 9.5 or 10" to run with no buffer reliably for their mini/mid. I looked at the M92 but another pound+ does not interest me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33,684
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    I still think there is a sweet spot that CAI should have gone to - like 9.5 or 10" to run with no buffer reliably for their mini/mid. I looked at the M92 but another pound+ does not interest me.
    I think for 7.62x39 the Draco 12.25" is as short as you can go for practical. If it was 5.45x39 then you can go to Krink lengths.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,725
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    I think for 7.62x39 the Draco 12.25" is as short as you can go for practical. If it was 5.45x39 then you can go to Krink lengths.
    Hence boosters on shorter (7.62) ones?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •