Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What say you of this unique setup?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I just want to say I got here first.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...n-offset-prism

ViniVidivici you even replied to my post.
    HA! Yeah, I forgot all about that!

Intuitively, it just does not seem optimal, which was my first reaction to Getnlwr's proposal.

Buy thank you for posting that vid @Defaultmp3, I'd wondered what someone like Mr. Gurwitch would think about the setup. I had no idea he was already going down that road!

I do have to admit that if your particular mission (driving the gear train, as it does) will require MOST hits to be very close-in, and more rarely a bit farther out and/or needing more precision, it DOES lend legitimacy to the concept.

I like that he points out the value of magnification even inside 50 yards. I myself have noticed great advantage in this, in my "poor man's ACOG" journey with a 2.5x in top of a 16" middy, as even though I can easily make a hit to 200 with a simple dot, I've enjoyed the enhanced precision just a little magnification affords, even at less than 50.

I scored my best MNQ with that setup not too long ago.

Feedback Score
    Finally got to watch the video a couple times. They got the concept that I was thinking. Was neat seeing a guy doing it with a lefty setup. I have to wonder about carbon buildup on the lense. I prefer shooting suppressed and there is generally more blow back. I did consider a left side vertical mount that would make the POA not equal POI. But always being a couple inches to the right would drive me nuts. Might be okay for a gaming rifle. The gun that will be used as the experiment host was built specifically for ColaWarrior. The rifle is just for fun, and sometimes that’s enough.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    An offset red dot does not work well with night vision, also more difficult for shooting around barricades/obstacles. What ever is offset or piggybacked will be secondary. What ever is mounted on top of the receiver is primary. The point of this setup is to have the red dot as a primary optic with the anticipation of close targets being the biggest threat. With an offset micro prism smaller targets and at distance targets is a smooth and quick transition.

When somebody like Jeff Gurwitch speaks I listen, he has many years of combat and competitive shooting experience. After watching his video several weeks ago I tried this out on a 7.62x39 AR. I was able to make hits on steel at 500 yards off the bench. Squatting, kneeling and prone hits where fairly easy out to 300 yards. I’ve only been to the range with this setup once so it’s still to soon for me to know how well it will work for me, but I thinking it’s a good idea.
    As for nv, then go with 12:00.

I have a 1.25-4x as primary
    12:00rds for nvg or anything close.

The drawbacks for magnified or drawbacks for compromised cheekweld are splitting hairs and really probably wouldnt matter either way - its just not how Id do it.

When the top 5 of whatever competition are running thst setup, I'd reconsider.

Feedback Score
    I understand the reason in the video since I’ve shot matches against stukas but I rather have my LPVO and an offset dot. The offset prism gives you a hair of magnification for small targets but honestly past 200 you’re getting into weird holds. I can still use my offset dot under nods too. A badger 1.70 j arm works with nods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    As for nv, then go with 12:00.

I have a 1.25-4x as primary
    12:00rds for nvg or anything close.

The drawbacks for magnified or drawbacks for compromised cheekweld are splitting hairs and really probably wouldnt matter either way - its just not how Id do it.

When the top 5 of whatever competition are running thst setup, I'd reconsider.
    All good points especially about the top 5 % of the competition. Piggyback rmr works for me although follow up shots are slower. This my first time using a PA 3X prism and the question that I keep asking myself is for day time do I really need a rds. The 3X prism is plenty fast as is although anything under 25 yards a rds will be faster and more forgiving. At this point it’s just an experiment.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I too have experienced this with a prism optic, much like with my LPVO, I hardly use illumination at all in daylight.

The PA 2.5x I'm using has a reticle (ACSS/CQB) that is bold enough for very fast use, without being lit up.

I mainly use the illumination when it's dark, or in an area where the background of the targets give low contrast with the reticle.

LOVE the fact that I can just grab it off the wall and it's ready, I don't absolutely have to turn it on.

Feedback Score
    Trying to get the eye relief back in the position I need it is a challenge. I sort of want to try this with a 3X prismatic as well. The short size of the optic is making the mounting solution extremely difficult. Have not given up through. I have moved it around a bit on different guns. The offset angle would work well on my AUG too I think. And the longer rail on it resolves my eye relief issue. Just thinking.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234