Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What say you of this unique setup?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Getnlwr View Post
    If I could find a D-evo for cheap I’d totally try one. Neat concept. It just failed. Maybe it was too early. Or it was just a bad idea.
    I played with one once, personally thought it worked pretty well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I don't see how this is true. Seems pretty trivial to make sure to get an offset mount that places it properly over the bore once you cant the gun.
    If you run a slick side receiver to clear the forward assist, should be fine, a lot of the modern prisms seem to have excellent eye relief and can be mounted as far back as possible and still be perfectly useable, assuming you don't shoot NTCH but instead have a stock mostly extended. You can see how far back Gurwitch has his optic on his rifle, it would be behind the shell deflector if it was on the right side.
    I recall those allegedly having dog shit eye relief and eye box, which is a shame, since it was a pretty neat concept.

Just being Devil's advocate here, I personally don't really see any advantage to this for my use case.
    I was thinking more of a tube style magnified optic, a prism would probably work as you describe.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What's the application? IMO maybe on a set course with known targets this could be a niche advantage but not something I would do on a defensive gun.

Feedback Score
    Why?

Alignment is more critical for magnified. Thats why people optimize around magnified, and put offset or hight 12 rds, cause 200yds in, it doesnt matter.

Why would you put the optic for 500yd shots in a position to make those shots much more difficult?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    What's the application? IMO maybe on a set course with known targets this could be a niche advantage but not something I would do on a defensive gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Why?

Alignment is more critical for magnified. Thats why people optimize around magnified, and put offset or hight 12 rds, cause 200yds in, it doesnt matter.

Why would you put the optic for 500yd shots in a position to make those shots much more difficult?
    Watch the video in posted by @Defaultmp3

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have a good friend of mine that used this concept very successfully in 3 gun in the early 2000s. His rational was that you do 90%+ of your shooting 50 and in, so he was shooting open with an Eotech at 12 and canted his magnified optic ACOG at 45. He even mounted his detachable bipod so that it supported the acog at 45. Unconventional but effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DVC
    ABS : Cars = CTC Lasers : Pistols

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Getnlwr View Post
    If I could find a D-evo for cheap I’d totally try one. Neat concept. It just failed. Maybe it was too early. Or it was just a bad idea.
    Am instructor had one on his rifle and I played with it. You very much looked down into the magnified optic. It was an extremely wierd way to shoot. I did not like it at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Watch the video in posted by @Defaultmp3
    I did and still dont think this offers any benefit over swaping positions.

A well placed 45 rds doesnt have any drawbacks that I can think of vs top mounted. The magnified does.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A well placed 45 rds doesnt have any drawbacks that I can think of vs top mounted.
    That's not the feedback I got when I asked abut using an offset RDS as primary a few years ago.

Feedback Score
    I did and still dont think this offers any benefit over swaping positions.

A well placed 45 rds doesnt have any drawbacks that I can think of vs top mounted. The magnified does.
    An offset red dot does not work well with night vision, also more difficult for shooting around barricades/obstacles. What ever is offset or piggybacked will be secondary. What ever is mounted on top of the receiver is primary. The point of this setup is to have the red dot as a primary optic with the anticipation of close targets being the biggest threat. With an offset micro prism smaller targets and at distance targets is a smooth and quick transition.

When somebody like Jeff Gurwitch speaks I listen, he has many years of combat and competitive shooting experience. After watching his video several weeks ago I tried this out on a 7.62x39 AR. I was able to make hits on steel at 500 yards off the bench. Squatting, kneeling and prone hits where fairly easy out to 300 yards. I’ve only been to the range with this setup once so it’s still to soon for me to know how well it will work for me, but I thinking it’s a good idea.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast