Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other "flow-through" cans besides Huxworx?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yea that is all the reasons I bought one. There was no clear best can out there from my looking. I really struggled to find a clear winner. I’m still considering the smallest 3D Hux can. I heard it shinned the best from SBR guns. Kinda like it needed the umph to get the most out of it. But not the most durable and I highly value that, hence I went SOCOM.

The sig direct thread 556 old can is one of my favorites. Bought my last one for $399 and love that can. Great suppression and kinda sorta low back pressure.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-24-23 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Yea that is all the reasons I bought one. There was no clear best can out there from my looking. I really struggled to find a clear winner. I’m still considering the smallest 3D Hux can. I heard it shinned the best from SBR guns. Kinda like it needed the umph to get the most out of it. But not the most durable and I highly value that, hence I went SOCOM.

The direct thread 556 old can is one of my favorites. Bought my last one for $399 and love that can. Great suppression and kinda sorta low back pressure.

PB
    Same here and Pew Science is more into the weeds on all the variables/science than establishing a clear winner based on common parameters.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Same here and Pew Science is more into the weeds on all the variables/science than establishing a clear winner based on common parameters.
    I noticed that when researching my first suppressors- their charts and comparisons were so convoluted for my simple mind it told me little. I just ended up watching a gazillion YouTube videos and visiting different firearm sites to get information.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I noticed that when researching my first suppressors- their charts and comparisons were so convoluted for my simple mind it told me little. I just ended up watching a gazillion YouTube videos and visiting different firearm sites to get information.
    And because some of the important variables like, will the company be in business ( think Dead Air -AAC) and mounts are not considered big considerations. But ease of mounting and sacrificial baffles and ........ It's hard to pick a can. So you just have to pull the trigger and pray you did alright based on your usage.

I am perfectly capable of blowing a can up like nobodies business. But have enjoyed good luck getting them rebuilt or replaced.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-25-23 at 11:10.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would like to see a comparison between these flow through cans vs a .30 cal K or mid size regular design.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I would like to see a comparison between these flow through cans vs a .30 cal K or mid size regular design.
    Probably the best you're going to get is with a Pew Science subscription. You'll be able to look at the back pressure generated with the use of various suppressors, various dB numbers measured at the ear and muzzle, etc. They test 30 cal and 5.56 cal cans on various hosts, and are as objective as possible. Lots of good info over there.
    Last edited by georgeib; 12-25-23 at 22:11.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I think I know what your getting at here. The over-bored cans give less back pressure and the more girthy cans give less back pressure. I like shooting my 338 can on my 300WM, 45 acp cans on 9mm and 30 cal cans on 6.5CM. I like the reduced risk of baffle strike and less back pressure in gas guns.

Does pew pew show these cans on lower caliber offerings? I think one thing Sig did which was smart and wish Surefire did on their SOCOM can I just bought was to increase girth to 1.75 vs so many cans around 1.5. That extra .25 is nice, in my humble estimation.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Pew leaderboard is the closest thing.

https://pewscience.com/rankings

Go there, filter by ammuniton and select 5.56 only.

There are currently ~40 suppressors that match.

You can then sort by Muzzle rating or Ear rating.

Near the bottom the list when sorted by Muzzle rating are many of the simple technology 7.62 cans like the Razor762 and Sandman-S.

The regular flow through cans like the HX-QD556 and simple tech 556 cans like the Turbo T2 fall in the middle of the list.

Near the top of the list are the long "L" version 762 cans like the Lahar 30L, full size 5.56 cans using more advanced designs like the Torch and SOCOM556 and high tech 3D printed hybrid cans like the WhiteBread and VENT3.

Back pressure, weapon function (gas drive) and Ear Rating are not necessarily correlated to muzzle performance.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When looking at Pew Science, it's important to keep a couple of things in mind:
    First that bolt gun numbers don't translate very well to semi autos, and
    Second that there is an inverse relationship between a suppressor's backpressure and sound suppression "at the ear."

A suppressed bolt gun, in a particular caliber and barrel length, will always be quieter to the shooter than the same in a semi-auto because of port pop. Which is primarily caused by gasses traveling back down the barrel towards the breach and escaping from the ejection port near the shooter. A lower backpressure suppressor will mitigate this significantly at the cost of more gasses being forced out the front of the can.

This explains why high backpressure suppressors with a very good muzzle suppression rating fair poorly at the ear compared to low backpressure cans. And why the opposite is also true. In a bolt action rifle, a suppressor's backpressure is almost irrelevant, whereas in a semi-auto it negatively impacts both weapon function and sound suppression to the shooter. Weapon function can be tuned with an adjustable gas block or reduced port gas tube in a DI or adjustable orifice piston gun, but this tuning only improves port pop minimally in the case of DI and not at all in a piston gun.

Like everything in life, high versus low backpressure suppressors are a matter of picking your poison, or making a proper cost-benefit analysis. Choose wisely or choose often.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12