Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for the S&W 340PD?

Feedback Score

Reloading for the S&W 340PD?

I don't have one but have considered getting an alloy or scandium snub for shooting .38's from.

I recall that the 340PD models call for jacketed bullets of at least 125 grn. This is probably to prevent bullet pull.

But is that really necessary when one can load their own?

I've loaded a few hundred .38 Colt Shorts with soft 145 gr bullets to avg 615 fps from a 3" barrel. The crimp is mild but I could crimp more next time.

Would these really be a "pull" problem in a scandium snub?

Feedback Score
    I believe the bullet weight guidance is for .357mag. Not an issue for .38 sp. I could be wrong though

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by studenygreg View Post
    I believe the bullet weight guidance is for .357mag. Not an issue for .38 sp. I could be wrong though

That could be.

Feedback Score
    I have 3 different titanium cylinder models. 340pd, 327pc and 329pd. I don't shoot a lot of magnum loads but I generally stick with heavier grain bullets just to be safe and not cause any cylinder erosion.

Last edited by studenygreg; 12-24-23 at 16:48.

Feedback Score
    I want one, but $1100 is pretty steep!

Feedback Score
    Yes, compared to around 4-500 for an air weight. I've had mine about 10 years. It's cheaper than sawpping out carry guns every couple of years.

Feedback Score
    Yes, compared to around 4-500 for an air weight. I've had mine about 10 years. It's cheaper than sawpping out carry guns every couple of years.

I had gone the LCR route favoring the trigger and weight in .357 / 6 shot .327. (Both 17 oz empty, 19 oz loaded) The .357 got worn. Sold with disclosure.

Now, I'd prefer the smaller, lighter J. (17 oz for a loaded 442, 14 oz for a loaded 340pd) Especially since I started reloading.

As for .327 in a snub, it can perform but the blast is atrocious and recoil like a moderate .357 magnum. It seems like a certain ear-killer.

Loading .32 mag hot, and I do, provides .380 performance at best.

I could load .38's light for practice, up for carry. Wouldn't fire .357 from it.

Feedback Score

I’ve owned one for years, ankle carried it as my BUG when I was a cop, now I pocket carry it.

Mines in .357 but I normally carry 158gr GD for CCW.

You’re not gonna put many hot .357 mags thru it, your wrists will hate you.

Great little carry gun.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    I’ve owned one for years, ankle carried it as my BUG when I was a cop, now I pocket carry it.

Mines in .357 but I normally carry 158gr GD for CCW.

You’re not gonna put many hot .357 mags thru it, your wrists will hate you.

Great little carry gun.

Nah. Not into killing my hands. I want to shoot and delay arthritis for the long-haul.

I did fire one many years ago. 125 gr sjhp Federals IIRC. I know I fired it until empty but the owner may have only put 3 rounds it. Or it was 5, I forget. But I was very glad when it was over. and knew by shot 2 I'd never fire full .357 from one of these again in the future.

I would be concerned of actually tearing issue / breaking a bone in my hand. The question would be is there a hollow point with weight & velocity that is tolerable.

A soft 160 gr LHP like from GT bullets at 850 is, but I'd have concerns regarding bullet- pull, being lead.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-06-24 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    The question would be is there a hollow point with weight & velocity that is tolerable.
    In .357?

I never found one. But I don’t reload so I can’t say if someone has come up with a home brew recipe that’ll work.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast