Thread: LMT Upper/Colt Lower

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

LMT Upper/Colt Lower

I've recently acquired an LMT 14.5" upper that I would like to mount on a pre-ban Colt Lightweight Sporter lower. Some say I need an off-set pin kit to mate the two, some say it will work without. I'd like to hear from someone who's actually done this and know what they're talking about. If I need the pin kit, any ideas where I can get it? Brownells is supplied by DPMS and they are sold out.

Thoughts?

SBB
    Last edited by Soggybottomboy; 02-07-09 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggybottomboy View Post
    I've recently acquired an LMT 14.5" upper that I would like to mount on a pre-ban Colt Lightweight Sporter lower. Some say I need an off-set pin kit to mate the two, some say it will work without. I'd like to hear from someone who's actually done this and know what they're talking about. If I need the pin kit, any ideas where I can get it? Brownells is supplied by DPMS and they are sold out.

Thoughts?

SBB

This is a good question and I have also been considering upgrading my lightweight Colt although a Noveske or Larue Upper.

I am interested in the little gotchas that come with this idea.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If the Colt is a pre-ban then the pivot pin should be larger. Measure the holes in the lower and upper. Normal pin size is .250 older Colts were .312. If the hole in the Colt is larger (.312) then you will need the offset screw.

I see the Midway is also out so you may have to look around.

Feedback Score
    As stated, best to measure the pivot pin holes first, but if you do need a conversion piece, here is a link:
    http://www.specializedarmament.com/p..._PI-306-4.html
    “Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity,” George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Crash, that is exactly what I was looking for! I'm not totally sure if I'll need it or not, I'll see the upper tomorrow but because it was so scarce, I ordered the pin anyway. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

SBB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yesterday I saw the uppper and was able to mate it to my Colt Lower. It was a little tight but if fit and there was no slack or wobble. I did order the pin just in case and will probably use it when I get a chance to purchase the upper. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

SBB