Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And I thought our.gov was out of touch.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

And I thought our.gov was out of touch.

In the Philippines, I would guess 60+% of people rely on mass transit. Owning a car over here is simply an unattainable dream.
    Mass Transit here is broken down to various levels, the lowest and most available is the age old Jeepney.
    In case you're unaware, Jeepney's are mini busses made from surplus parts from WWII vehicles.
    Well the Philippine .gov banned all further use of Jeepney's this fall. They told the Jeepney owners they can purchase new busses at about 2.5 million pesos per.
    When I got here and heard the news I said to myself, "Well that's not going to work" and it hasn't
    Now certain Jeepney's can get authorization to continue to operate.
    As of now, getting anywhere is a mess and the old Jeepney's are being retired from public use, but continue on as private transportation.

And you thought Cubans were good at keeping old cars on the road...

Feedback Score
    You really want to be an ex-pat? I know our country sucks more than it used to but it's GOT to be better than Third World destinations, especially on a permanent basis. Visit? Yeah, okay depending on where. Actually plan on living there? Nah.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's what I'm seeing, out in the boonies nobody gives a damn.
    It used to be that way in Texas and Arizona. It's simply not anymore. Everyone is in your business 24-7-365.

I just want to be left alone. If it could be done in the US, I would rather, but I just don't see it anymore.

Feedback Score
    Man when I was stationed at Clark the Jeepney was our main form of transportation when we went off base. Trike if we were in a hurry. Nothing like riding down the street in a full Jeepney when someone would bang on the roof and a local woman would get off squat alongside the curb and take a wizz.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Unfortunately I'm too big to ride a trike, I'm banging my head or doing some major contortions getting in or out.
    So far I've yet to pull over for someone to pee.
    In Metro Manila right now.

Feedback Score
    I was there in the late 80's/early 90's. I would love to see how different Angeles is now and Clark.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Parts of Clark have developed into what they call, "New Clark".
    Nice upper middle class (for the Philippines) homes.
    It's pretty nice.
    We passed by yesterday.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    You really want to be an ex-pat? I know our country sucks more than it used to but it's GOT to be better than Third World destinations, especially on a permanent basis. Visit? Yeah, okay depending on where. Actually plan on living there? Nah.
    I would live in the Philippines it's pretty cool

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    In the Philippines, I would guess 60+% of people rely on mass transit. Owning a car over here is simply an unattainable dream.
    Mass Transit here is broken down to various levels, the lowest and most available is the age old Jeepney.
    In case you're unaware, Jeepney's are mini busses made from surplus parts from WWII vehicles.
    Well the Philippine .gov banned all further use of Jeepney's this fall. They told the Jeepney owners they can purchase new busses at about 2.5 million pesos per.
    When I got here and heard the news I said to myself, "Well that's not going to work" and it hasn't
    Now certain Jeepney's can get authorization to continue to operate.
    As of now, getting anywhere is a mess and the old Jeepney's are being retired from public use, but continue on as private transportation.

And you thought Cubans were good at keeping old cars on the road...
    Kind of insane they're cracking down on Jeepneys, that's the main transportation for the majority of the people. Cheapest way to get around by far. What the hell are they thinking?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you suppose someone in the climate change movement is putting pressure on the gov there to get the old Jeepney's off the roads?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast