Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And I thought our.gov was out of touch.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's because Marcos would seem to be out of touch, wouldn't it? I mean I doubt if he's getting up at 4 to be at Work by 8 because he doesn't have a ride.
    Also these folks so want to be a part of the Modern World that they go 'All In" on stuff like COVID and Climate Change before the results are in or all the science is actually in.
    But, I mean, for the most part, so do we.

So they see a 50 year old diesel engine spewing smoke and get the cart so far ahead of the horse, they've actually made things worse.
    But for the most part, so do we.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Doubled
    Last edited by Averageman; 12-30-23 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
    Do you suppose someone in the climate change movement is putting pressure on the gov there to get the old Jeepney's off the roads?
    You mean like the entire Biden Administration?
    Yes, they are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    You mean like the entire Biden Administration?
    Yes, they are.
    I don't know if the biden admin. is leading or following the climate change BS.
    I suspect following.

They're clever enough to see it as an expensive boondoggle to fleece Americans (with 10% for the big guy) but I don't think they're smart enough to have come up with it on their own.

I'd think the Jeepney owners could install cleaner running engines for a fraction of the cost of new buses.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For anyone else who never saw one

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeepney

Those look cool.

Is the first red one built on a late 80s to mid 90s YJ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Was last at Clark as the volcano (Pinatubo... however you spell it) was starting to go and we were evacuating.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
    I don't know if the biden admin. is leading or following the climate change BS.
    I suspect following.

They're clever enough to see it as an expensive boondoggle to fleece Americans (with 10% for the big guy) but I don't think they're smart enough to have come up with it on their own.

I'd think the Jeepney owners could install cleaner running engines for a fraction of the cost of new buses.
    The Filippinos are caught over a barrel. The Chinese are fishing thier waters and F'ing with the Navy pretty hard.
    So Biden says "You folks need to get with the 21st Century aand embrace some COVID restrictions and some emissions standards.
    So now what choice do the Filippinos have?
    The cost of labor here is pretty crazy. A guy stocking shelves 8 hours a day is going to make the US equivalent of 6 dollars for that 8 hour day.
    Pretty hard to save up for a new engine that will meet emissions standards that way.
    The solution a lot of guys have come up with is buying an ICE powered golf cart.
    Work the numbers of how many people fit in a golf cart vsa Jeepney and you'll see just how backwards thinking that really is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    Was last at Clark as the volcano (Pinatubo... however you spell it) was starting to go and we were evacuating.
    I missed the volcano, but was there for the earthquake which was pretty much Pinatubo coming to life.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A brief update, as of today, no more Jeepneys.
    There is a way to get an extension to operate under the promise that you will spend 2 million Pesos to upgrade your Jeepney to European emission standards.
    Promise in one hand sand poop in the other and tell me which one gets filled faster. No way on Earth the people who have applied will come up with 2 million Pesos to make this happen.
    You're doing really well to make 15 K US a year here, but it gives them time and an edge, so whatever works.
    I think we can all agree that Politics is a game of corruption, graft and vice. This however isn't even about that, it's about being so far removed from the common working Man, that you can't, or refuse to see the obvious.
    We have much in common with what's going on here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't been to PI since '87 but it seems everybody rode the Jeepneys.

I don't know how things work in the gov there but I hope this is one of those ridiculous laws that gets ignored or changed before too many people are put out of business, or lose their jobs because they can't find transportation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast