Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ALL LEO'S

Feedback Score

ALL LEO'S

It has been a while since I posted on here and I have a good reason...I have been testing for my local police academy. After 8 months of testing and interviews I have been accepted. I actually start on Monday the 12th. For all of the LEO out there I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips or advice for my 6 month ride in the academy and the career ahead. Any and all input or advice is welcomed...
    “We don’t rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training.” Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not LEO yet~I am looking to take the test this year,But way to go .Be safe out there keep your eyes and ears open, always vest up ,Look at the academy the way I did at Basic in the army. A million guys have been here and made it through here before me and I will to.Good luck!!

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Congratulations! Well done!

Well, after 23 years in this business and making it to Lieutenant, I will keep it pretty simple:

• Keep your eyes and ears open.
    • Only answer something if asked.
    • There are only four responses: Yes, sir. No, sir. No excuse, sir. I will find out, sir.

You don't need to be first, but you definitely don't want to be last, either. I've seen plenty of the Top Students at the Academy fail Field Training. Just take it all one day at a time.

The academy is an artificial training environment. Not everything you will learn applies to real life. Most of us have to unlearn some of our academy training when we actually hit the street.

Again, good job! It's not easy getting hired in this litigious environment.

Good luck, and be safe!
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Oops. Database Error.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    congrats - goodluck - everything what PRGGODFATHER said is right on !! the real learning happens if and when you graduate .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .357sigger View Post
    It has been a while since I posted on here and I have a good reason...I have been testing for my local police academy. After 8 months of testing and interviews I have been accepted. I actually start on Monday the 12th. For all of the LEO out there I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips or advice for my 6 month ride in the academy and the career ahead. Any and all input or advice is welcomed...
    Mind your mouth.
    Mind your booze.
    Mind your zipper.

Yes sir, no sir, three bag bags full sir.

You know nothing. Don't think otherwise for quite some time.

Whatever interesting things you might have done prior to this aren't relevant.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Don't be an asshole to dispatch. Believe it or not, those voices on the radio come from actual people.

Feedback Score
    Everyone has already covered it. Pay close attention to what they are saying. Particularly the "you don't know shit now shut up" stuff. Even though you might be an expert in a particular area..... you ain't... Get the drift? It takes a long time for some people to figure that out. Also, it's only 6 months. Grind it out. It'll be over soon.

Congrats and good luck brother.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Mind your mouth.
    Mind your booze.
    Mind your zipper.
    Ain't that the truth! It should go without saying, but I have seen guys get tanked for some ridiculous stuff. This applies to after FTO/Probation as well. In addition to the usual tactics, law, procedures, etc., pay attention to report writing. So much of what we do comes down to putting it on paper. We can fine tune you writing skills, but if you have none, it's not going to work out.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Congratulations! All good points here so far. When you get out there, know in your mind before you do something if it's right and you can articulate it. You have to make some hard decisions and you need to know what you can and cannot do. Don't let people influence you in bad ways, Police and bad people.
    Treat people how you would want a family member treated.
    Be decisive and when you have to do something, do it right and with authority-carry yourself and project it with respect.

You can still be "nice" to the bad guy while doing whatever you need to do in order to accomplish your mission. In the end, if you acted properly and he's in the ER, so be it.

Learn how to speak with various people, you can do it without cussing and name calling and all can understand. Tell them what you are doing and what you are going to do, I've found they are less apprehensive when they know what's going to happen with them.

And last but not least-depending--DON'T PISS OFF THE SERGEANT
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast