Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USMC trains it's final Scout Snipers

Feedback Score

USMC trains it's final Scout Snipers

Way out of my lane, but is this reorganization seen as a good thing?

"In February, the Marine Corps announced it was cutting infantry battalions’ scout sniper platoons and replacing them with scout platoons specifically focused on reconnaissance.

Previously, Marine infantry battalions had scout sniper platoons, made up of formally trained marksmen who also had reconnaissance skills, along with Marines who received on-the-job training.

The change from 18-Marine scout sniper platoons to 26-Marine scout platoons comes as the Marine Corps is restructuring the force in preparation for potential conflict with a powerful, high-tech adversary like the Chinese military. One of the service’s top priorities in this overhaul, called Force Design 2030, is to improve the Marines’ reconnaissance capabilities."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/marine-co...182737496.html
    Last edited by Slater; 12-28-23 at 15:02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Way out of my lane, but is this reorganization seen as a good thing?

The change from 18-Marine scout sniper platoons to 26-Marine scout platoons comes as the Marine Corps is restructuring the force in preparation for potential conflict with a powerful, high-tech adversary like the Chinese military. One of the service’s top priorities in this overhaul, called Force Design 2030, is to improve the Marines’ reconnaissance capabilities."
    They've been talking about doing this for years, or since I was with the MEU 12 years ago. I don't think it means an end to Scout Sniper School at all, more that they want to augment the capabilities to a battalion level because they don't foresee the large formations of Marines like they had in the invasion of Iraq instead small formations that can fight smaller engagements with more electronic and technological edge. While this is a good thing or bad thing remains to be seen but it's clear that the Marine Corps wants to become much more of America's 911 who is much more adaptive and highly specialized. I worry more about the indoctrination into these left wing ideologies and the lack of actual training more then a rework of specific units and how they operate.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    I talked to a sniper instructor friend of mine about this briefly. He was Army, and now mostly works with LE, but the general take is that this whole thing is probably for the best (though the USMC Scout Snipers disagree). The school had a graduation rate well below what was needed by the USMC to fill billets. At the same time, the recon units started doing their own in-house training using the same curriculum (with a few elements removed as they were seen as less useful for modern snipers). The sense was that the Scout Sniper school (and graduates) were becoming "a bit high on their own supply" (my friend's words, not mine) and were too obstinate to do anything about it.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    They've been talking about doing this for years, or since I was with the MEU 12 years ago. I don't think it means an end to Scout Sniper School at all, more that they want to augment the capabilities to a battalion level because they don't foresee the large formations of Marines like they had in the invasion of Iraq instead small formations that can fight smaller engagements with more electronic and technological edge. While this is a good thing or bad thing remains to be seen but it's clear that the Marine Corps wants to become much more of America's 911 who is much more adaptive and highly specialized. I worry more about the indoctrination into these left wing ideologies and the lack of actual training more then a rework of specific units and how they operate.
    It is an end to the USMC scout sniper school. Recon runs its own school and will provide that capability to battalion and other elements.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    I talked to a sniper instructor friend of mine about this briefly. He was Army, and now mostly works with LE, but the general take is that this whole thing is probably for the best (though the USMC Scout Snipers disagree). The school had a graduation rate well below what was needed by the USMC to fill billets. At the same time, the recon units started doing their own in-house training using the same curriculum (with a few elements removed as they were seen as less useful for modern snipers). The sense was that the Scout Sniper school (and graduates) were becoming "a bit high on their own supply" (my friend's words, not mine) and were too obstinate to do anything about it.
    The USMC school was eating its young, patting itself on its back for such a high attrition rate. And a lot of the failures were for arbitrary bullshit. As a community they were very inbred and resistant to outside counsel, including the council of people with stars on their collars which led to some of the.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    It is an end to the USMC scout sniper school. Recon runs its own school and will provide that capability to battalion and other elements.
    Recon will not be able to support the battalion or even down to the company level in any capacity.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post

Naturally an Army guy would say something like that. I remember when we help develop the Modern Army Sniper school in the 80’s. Yes Marine Snipers did this. I do agree with some of what he says. Our attrition rate was high and I do think some liked that and were proud of it. It got better during the war but went back to the high attrition rate. I am part of the Marine Corps Scout sniper association and alot of us are pist and rightfully so. Sniper employment training has lacked at the company and battalion level. It’s to bad. The Marine Corps Sniper has always been the premier Sniper in the American Military. We have always led the way in development as well.
    Last edited by indianalex01; 12-30-23 at 23:02.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    The Corps seems to be reorganizing itself as something along the lines of an amphibious 75th Ranger Regiment.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    Recon will not be able to support the battalion or even down to the company level in any capacity.
    We'll see. I can see the argument that recon will be overused in that capacity and not enough time at home doing reconny things.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    The Corps seems to be reorganizing itself as something along the lines of an amphibious 75th Ranger Regiment.
    The MLR is a whole different beast. Or at least what the conception of use is. I am dubious, but optimistic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast