Thread: B-1 Bomber crashes at Ellsworth AFB

Feedback Score

B-1 Bomber crashes at Ellsworth AFB

https://www.kotatv.com/2024/01/05/cr...ellsworth-afb/

RAPID CITY, S.D. (KOTA) - The Air Force says the four crewmembers of the B-1 bomber that crashed Thursday night at Ellsworth Air Force Base were injured.
    As of Friday morning, one airman was being treated at Monument Hospital in Rapid City. The Air Force says the crewmember’s injuries are not life-threatening. The other three airmen were treated on the base for minor injuries.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the aircrew and their families as they recover from this event,” Col. Derek Oakley, 28th Bomb Wing commander, stated in a release. “It is important that we support each other as we work to learn more about what occurred.”

The crash is now under investigation. That investigation, according to the Air Force Safety Center, could take one to three months. The safety investigation board findings are not released to the public. However, an accident investigation board usually runs alongside the safety investigation and those findings can be released to the public.

The bomber crashed while it was landing at Ellsworth about 5:30 p.m., Thursday. The crew was able to eject but not without injuries.

People who lived in the area say the crash was extremely loud, shaking their homes. A homeowner allowed us to use his door camera video, showing a massive flash erupting from the ground, followed by a plume of smoke.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Having witnessed a couple of "heavy" crashes, it's pretty dramatic. (KC-135, B-52) They carry a lot of fuel, so it's a big event !! Not something you'll ever forget, or wish to see again. Thankfully, in this case, no LOSS OF LIFE !!

Feedback Score
    Glad the crew made it out safely.

Secretly there’s a bunch of maintainers happy there’s one less B1B aircraft to keep flying. They’re long past their expiration date, I know more than a few guys who’ve worked on them over the years and they all say that airplane is a dumpster fire.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    We have a member here that is a crewman on a B-1B. I hope he is fine. I shall make inquiries.

I am also glad to hear that no one lost their lives.

Feedback Score
    I am also thankful the crew survived. They are really all that matters, the rest of it is just stuff...
    Last edited by ThirdWatcher; 01-05-24 at 22:29.

Feedback Score
    Yep, an aircraft that was going to be replaced soon enough anyway.

I saw a photo of the wreck, it doesn’t appear to have caught fire and burned out. So maybe it can be a parts donor to keep the other heaps flying until the B21 starts showing up.

Feedback Score
    I read that we built 104 B-1's. We have 45 left.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    I hope they ramp up B21 production. Everything wears out and our Warriors deserve the best we can afford.