Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun vs AR for HD (inside the house).

Feedback Score

Shotgun vs AR for HD (inside the house).

What single AR round hits like 4 .36 caliber pellets @1225 fps?
    That's a .410 by the way, you know a little kids gun.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    I willing to my 458 Socom up against a 410, no problem.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    I willing to my 458 Socom up against a 410, no problem.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Oh I agree the 458 Socum and 450 Bushmaster are thumpers. But I'm guessing the vast majority of people who use ARs for HD are using .223/5.56.
    Does any ballistics expert here think that there is any such round that can stop an intruder faster with one single shot than a .410 with 000 buck at very close range like HD?
    I just don't see it. But I am not an expert.
    Last edited by Harpoon; 01-06-24 at 08:22.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don’t plan on just firing one round during a defense scenario. I like shotguns and I agree that a close range hit with a defense shotgun load is likely catastrophic. To me the problem is the shotgun takes much more training to run, and very few people can run a Bill drill with a shotgun as fast as a carbine.

I’m not against a shotgun for personal defense, but I would suspect most of us have far more rounds thru ARs than shotguns, and if I have to get in a close range gunfight at night I want my most familiar weapon in my hand. That said, I think if you make good hits with a 5.56, .300 AAC, or any buckshot load you’ll likely turn any threat room temperature.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why are we talking about a single round? Are we limited to single shot break actions or did you forget to load a mag into your AR?
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Why are we talking about a single round? Are we limited to single shot break actions or did you forget to load a mag into your AR?
    It's the terminal ballistics forum. I'm just asking if a single .410 000 buckshot hit might be more effective at stopping an intruder than any 223/556 hit?
    I'm not even going to ask about a12ga #1 buckshot hit. That's 16 .30 caliber pellets at 1250 fps.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    What single AR round hits like 4 .36 caliber pellets @1225 fps?
    That's a .410 by the way, you know a little kids gun.
    Well lets break it down, we know pistols suck at stopping people mostly because they lack any temporary stretch cavity that rifle velocity rounds produce. If you hit someone 4 times with basically a 9mm diameter projectile would that be considered better than a good solid hit with a rifle projectile?

There are many such cases of bad guys absorbing multiple pistol rounds until someone with a rifle puts an ends to a shenanigans.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Well lets break it down, we know pistols suck at stopping people mostly because they lack any temporary stretch cavity that rifle velocity rounds produce. If you hit someone 4 times with basically a 9mm diameter projectile would that be considered better than a good solid hit with a rifle projectile?

There are many such cases of bad guys absorbing multiple pistol rounds until someone with a rifle puts an ends to a shenanigans.
    Depends on where the hits are. It's possible that 4 spread out hits with 000 buck has a better chance to hit vital organs than 1 hit with a 223/556 rifle.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depends on where the hits are. It's possible that 4 spread out hits with 000 buck has a better chance to hit vital organs than 1 hit with a 223/556 rifle.
    How much spread does it have at the length of a hallway in your house?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I believe the opposite is true…I am much more capable of planting a 5.56 round precisely where I want it and since accurate shot placement typically trumps round horsepower I’ll stick with my AR, especially in a scenario where a loved one is being used as human shield.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast