Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI, soft points vs FMJ on steel, what gives?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Velocity is key. Is that reload hot? <2850fps is usually what you want at target.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's in the upper 1/3rd of 5.56 data from Hornady's site, been using the load as a 62gr FMJ for years, 24.4gr H335. Shows 25.4 as max.

No signs of excess pressure, brass gets loaded 5 times, no issues.

Used the same charge for these 62gr SP. Different bullet type, yes, but not drastically different, as far as how it should affect velocity, I wouldn't think. Primers and brass look same, no high pressure signs.

OAL is same on both these rounds too.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    FMJ tends to pancake on steel, while the SP / OTM tend to mushroom.

This mushrooming effect blasts material out of the crater.

We once shot some 6.8 SPC OTM loads through mild steel that made super caliber holes.

The holes were large enough to drop the entire case through.

Think about that for a minute.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    …We once shot some 6.8 SPC OTM loads through mild steel that made super caliber holes.

Sometimes I wonder if 6.8SPC2 really was a missed opportunity.

Separate from that, maybe there US should stop acting like we are abiding by international agreements to which we are not even a party.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    FMJ tends to pancake on steel, while the SP / OTM tend to mushroom.

This mushrooming effect blasts material out of the crater.

We once shot some 6.8 SPC OTM loads through mild steel that made super caliber holes.

Thank you, this is now beginning to make sense to my brain!

Just so wierd...I mean, it's common knowledge that AP, and really high velocity stuff up close will wreck steel, but I've never heard or read that SPs or OTMs were detrimental and should be avoided.

Seems like it should be the same level of common knowledge...is it, and I've just missed hearing it?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It sucks when you beat up your steel. Velocity and bullet make or break. I tried XM193 one time right after getting some Bowling Pin targets. Thought these shoot alright but nothing that different, then I went home:

It was brand new at the time, 5 holes through and through. This target sits on the side of the house now, but it was once special.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-13-24 at 18:42.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Soft points typically have a closed base, sometimes with a thick jacket. FMJs are typically open base. Pure conjecture but maybe the structural integrity of that base section plays a role. Mill off the SP jacket from the base only and see if it still craters like that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Soft points typically have a closed base, sometimes with a thick jacket. FMJs are typically open base. Pure conjecture but maybe the structural integrity of that base section plays a role. Mill off the SP jacket from the base only and see if it still craters like that?
    I was wondering the same thing.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Mill off the SP jacket from the base only and see if it still craters like that?
    That's some crazy shit I might do. But you're changing the bullet weight and thus the results would still be speculation if the pocking was gone.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's some crazy shit I might do. But you're changing the bullet weight and thus the results would still be speculation if the pocking was gone.
    I suppose velocity would go up, so if cratering were simultaneously reduced that would seem even stronger evidence the closed base is a factor.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast