Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI, soft points vs FMJ on steel, what gives?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I guess the "closed base theory" would explain OTMs causing more damage too, as Clint alluded to.

This experiment might be worth a try, deleting the base of the jacket on one of these.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I guess the "closed base theory" would explain OTMs causing more damage too, as Clint alluded to.

This experiment might be worth a try, deleting the base of the jacket on one of these.
    Deleting the base of an OTM might run the risk of core punch-through . . .

Feedback Score
    I wonder if its the friction of the sp/otm moving in-to-out vs a fmj just collapsing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Deleting the base of an OTM might run the risk of core punch-through . . .
    Which would suck to fix. Plus as the great markm noted, you've changed the weight of the bullet and thus have two variables for the expriment.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was just gonna file the bottom of the jacket off, then weigh before seating...not sure I wanna do it now! Doesn't sound too good.

Ultimately it just sounds like, for some reason of physics, SP are a NO-GO on steel, at least at 100 yards out of an 18" barrel.

May see what they do at 200 though. Just feel like this would've been common knowledge I'd have stumbled upon at some point...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It occurs to me that one way to maintain more of the integrity of the bullet might be to use an end mill bit to remove the center of the base, rather than the whole base. That way the entire base isn't lead, similar to a standard FMJ.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think you could still have pass-through, as the other end of jacket (SP or OTM) is open.

I'm glad Lysander came in with that before I tried it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What would be the danger of a pass through? The jacket becoming lodged in the bore?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Mill off the SP jacket from the base only and see if it still craters like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's some crazy shit I might do.
    It'd be an interesting experiment, but I wouldn't recommend it. The pressure will squirt the core out and leave the jacket stuck in the rifling.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    What would be the danger of a pass through? The jacket becoming lodged in the bore?
    Yeah, exactly.

Then next round, boom!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast