Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on 50-yard zero at 10-yards

Feedback Score

Question on 50-yard zero at 10-yards

50at10.jpg50at10.jpg

I'm using a 10-yard target to do a 50-yard zero like the one I've attached. I did a rough zero with the target and a laser bore sight in my basement to get on paper. I have two questions I was hoping to get opinions on.

How accurate do you find laser bore sighting to be in comparison to once you shoot live rounds at 50 and 200 to verify zero? How close are they typically?

I only have access to a 100-yard range to verify. If I verify at 50 and I'm good, in general, will 200 also be good?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaseMkr View Post
    If I verify at 50 and I'm good, in general, will 200 also be good?
    Any time I've tried those short range zeros, It's not right at distance in some way... depending on the sight system. A carbine sight radius, for example, is too imprecise for my eyes to zero at anything but 100. I end up with imperfection when I take it out. 100 yard zeros for every rifle for me for simplicity.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Zeros are fluid, subject to many influences, they need to constantly be maintained and verified. Extrapolate nothing, clicks are free , add or subtract as called for. Learn to call your shots.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaseMkr View Post
    50at10.jpg50at10.jpg

I'm using a 10-yard target to do a 50-yard zero like the one I've attached. I did a rough zero with the target and a laser bore sight in my basement to get on paper. I have two questions I was hoping to get opinions on.

How accurate do you find laser bore sighting to be in comparison to once you shoot live rounds at 50 and 200 to verify zero? How close are they typically?

I only have access to a 100-yard range to verify. If I verify at 50 and I'm good, in general, will 200 also be good?
    Bore sighting is used to get you on paper. It "usually" works as long as your optic wasn't installed by a goon. Always verify at distance.

In your case, since 100 is your longest range, I would go with a 100 yard zero just like I do on all of my rifles.

Go to the 50 yard range, verify you're on paper after the bore sighting, zero it 1.5" high at the 50 to ensure you're on paper at 100, then go to the 100 to zero your gun.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-12-24 at 09:37.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    Zeros are fluid, subject to many influences, they need to constantly be maintained and verified.
    This is so true. We'll make adjustments on a bolt gun with a Nightforce one week only to reverse the adjustments one week later.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Assuming that you are wanting a 50 yd “battle zero”. Those short range targets are much like a bore sighter. To get you as close as possible. I would not really trust them unless I had absolutely no other way to verify. Since you have access to 100 yds I’d do the 10 yard thing to get situated. Go to 50 for the real zero, then verify at 100 that your POI is where you are expecting it to be. Then work in so you understand your POI.

Then when you get a new lot of ammo, or the weather changes or you change elevation you pretty much verify things again. Whoever said Zeros are fluid wasn’t kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You don't bore sight to get a zero, you bore sight to save ammo.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    Zeros are fluid, subject to many influences, they need to constantly be maintained and verified. Extrapolate nothing, clicks are free , add or subtract as called for. Learn to call your shots.
    Great advice. It shouldn't change day to day, week to week, but it should be verified periodically.

Main issue with those short range zero targets is, windagr issues can be masked.

Me, there have been times I zeroed at 50, really felt like I was dead on, only to shoot at 225 and see I still needed to go one click over...then went back to 50 and said "there, that's it".

Me, I zero irons, RDS, and low power fixed mag optics at 50, LPVOs and such at 100. But that's a whole other discussion, which if you search here, had been discussed at great length with voluminous input from many experienced shooters.

Also, I don't laser foresight, I yank the upper off, pull the BCG, and look down the bore at something, adjust sights/optic to that point. That gets me on paper.

I have found that 10 yard trick for 50 does work well, and will get you "minute of man", but you MUST confirm farther out, and don't be hesitant to make fine adjustments after that.

Then go back and shoot again a few days later, confirm that things are as they should be.

As far as whether your 50 yard zero will be back dead on at 200, or 225, depends on your barrel length/type, ammo type, bullet weight, etc. But you'll most likely be close enough for government work.

Feedback Score
    When I say my gun "holds zero", I mean it will absolutely hold the last zero I put on it. It may not translate to the present conditions.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question on 50-yard zero at 10-yards

Vicious is absolutely correct. Bore sighting should be used to simply get rounds on the target….somewhere reasonable close to the point of aim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast