Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Seizes Eagle Pass--Expels Border Control

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Texas Seizes Eagle Pass--Expels Border Control

Heard about this last night, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion online about it. I've seen practically nothing on social media, and if there's a thread here, I missed it.

Texas Gov. Abbott seizes Eagle Pass border park without warning to combat migrant crisis, mayor claims

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott took control of a public park in a border city plagued by illegal immigration without warning on Wednesday, its mayor alleged Thursday.

Eagle Pass Mayor Rolando Salinas said the state seized Shelby Park, erecting fences to keep out citizens — and even federal border agents — without any notice as part of Abbott’s emergency declaration to combat the migrant crisis.

Shelby Park, which abuts the Rio Grande, has been flooded with migrants crossing into Texas via the dangerous river.

“That is not a decision that we agreed to,” Salinas said in an impassioned speech Thursday.

“This is not something that we wanted. This is not something that we asked for as a city.”

Wednesday night, fencing had already blocked off the entrances and military trucks were parked inside, video

“They will be denying access,” Salinas said. “Again, this is not the city of Eagle Pass denying access to the park. This is the state using that emergency declaration.”

The abrupt blockage has even extended to US Border Patrol agents, insiders told CBS News.

Texas National Guard units prevented the border agents from patrolling Shelby Park, which has been used in recent weeks to hold migrants in an outdoor staging area before they are transported for further processing.

“They are denying entry to Border Patrol agents to conduct our duties,” the official told the outlet, adding that they are not sure “what authority (Texas officials) have over the federal government.”
    https://nypost.com/2024/01/11/news/t...ithout-notice/

Texas Just Took Its Border Battle With the U.S. Government Up a Notch
    The Texas National Guard has seized control of Shelby Park in Eagle Pass, Texas, and is denying U.S. Border Patrol agents access to the area

THE TENSION BETWEEN the state of Texas and the federal government over the border escalated on Thursday when the Texas National Guard seized control of Shelby Park in Eagle Pass, Texas, denying entry to federal authorities. The seizure followed Governor Greg Abbott signing an emergency order granting the state guard “full control” of the park, over the objections of local officials.

According to two U.S. officials who spoke to CBS News, the Texas National Guard is now barring federal U.S. Border Patrol from entering the park, which runs along the bank of the Rio Grande. “They are denying entry to Border Patrol agents to conduct our duties,” one official said, questioning “what authority (Texas officials) have over the federal government.”

The Biden administration sued Texas last week over recent legislation signed by Abbott that grants local law enforcement the authority to arrest migrants and allow judges to order deportations. The administration argues that the law goes against constitutional mandates granting the federal government authority over border enforcement.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ol-1234945639/

I firmly expect this will go to the courts, where Texas will back down, but it's an interesting escalation, and one I'm surprised people aren't talking about.
    Last edited by Alpha-17; 01-12-24 at 08:59.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Good, about time.

This will be a potential test of state vs Federal power. I guess FJB can Federalize the Texas National Guard and order them away from the border, but who knows what will play out.

This could get interesting......
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Waiting 3 years to do anything = Political stunt.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Texas needs to resort to hit & run tactics. Do stuff like this then leave the night before the court hearing, negating the DoJ's case. Tie up DHS assets combatting Texas, so they don't have enough resources to process illegals into the country at the current high rates.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    I’m confused as to what the endgame and outcome of this is. Unless Texas is just going to catapult them back over the border, what’s the real net effect?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I’m confused as to what the endgame and outcome of this is. Unless Texas is just going to catapult them back over the border, what’s the real net effect?
    It's literally a no-win situation for Texas, so they're reduced to delaying tactics. Slow down the Biden/Mayorkas intake process and keep them busy with skirmishes like these.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    It's literally a no-win situation for Texas, so they're reduced to delaying tactics. Slow down the Biden/Mayorkas intake process and keep them busy with skirmishes like these.
    I guess you get a court case and Federal order for Texas to stop doing anything on the border, which is just a PR/Pol move. Whatever. If it highlights to a few voters in the middle that the reason that their kid doesn't a have a summer program this year is that illegals in in their schools and the funding is to support them...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    About time, they might want to consider seizure of all Federal Properties.
    Just for shits and giggles I would seize all Federal weapons on hand also.
    I hope they've got a judge to back them up and to tie this whole mess up in Court for a year.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    These always go the same way: the Feds sue, saying “only we can enforce immigration laws. We won’t, but if we wanted to it can only be us”. And the courts say “correct, only you can enforce, or not enforce, immigration laws. States- you just need to bend over and take it”.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    These always go the same way: the Feds sue, saying “only we can enforce immigration laws. We won’t, but if we wanted to it can only be us”. And the courts say “correct, only you can enforce, or not enforce, immigration laws. States- you just need to bend over and take it”.
    I think that shit was written into the Constitution back when people of both parties (or three, whatever) were of a steadfast moral character and actually gave a damn. NO ONE back then would have been for the unfettered and unchecked invasion as it exists today. They were simply stating the obvious, that one of the primary responsibilities of our Federal government is to protect our borders. I don't think anyone could foresee the slimy "import more voters" angle to it like modern Demoshits do.

It is not enough to shut the border down tight as a drum, although that's certainly a good start. Every one of those scum should be rounded up and deported immediately. Yeah, I know, wish in one hand and shit in the other.....
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast