Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corroded ammo after shooting suppressed

Feedback Score

Corroded ammo after shooting suppressed

Ok just checking to see if this is normal or not. Took my 308AR out shooting suppressed. After 14 rounds, the ammo left in the mag looks corroded and aged.

Brand new USA made ammo.

My 556 and 300BLK when suppressed get dirty, and can wipe off( still not shiny any more), but have never seen this.

The powder they used stunk.

Maybe this normal in 308, but didn't do this the other times, so I don't know.

What do you think??

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You have 2 cracked cases as well. If that really happened after 14 rounds of suppressed fire whatever you have there is scary stuff. Did you load the mags??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    You have 2 cracked cases as well. If that really happened after 14 rounds of suppressed fire whatever you have there is scary stuff. Did you load the mags??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I loaded them.

The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow, never seen anything like it.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What is your cleaning solvent? I had a similar problem several years ago. Not shooting suppressed, but ended up with green coated internal parts. Look up on this forum "H322 and green deposits" posted in 2019. Turns out that the copper solvent that I was using was getting pushed up into the gas tube. Once the rifle was fired, all of the dissolved copper became an aerosol and coated the internal parts of the rifle. Like yours looks...
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 01-14-24 at 06:53.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Perfectly normal. Vaporized copper fouling puking back onto the next rounds. I hate suppressed gas guns.

Yours are a pretty severe case of fouling, but I see this all the time.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    What is your cleaning solvent? I had a similar problem several years ago. Not shooting suppressed, but ended up with green coated internal parts. Look up on this forum "H322 and green deposits" posted in 2019. Turns out that the copper solvent that I was using was getting pushed up into the gas tube. Once the rifle was fired, all of the dissolved copper became an aerosol and coated the internal parts of the rifle. Like yours looks...
    Never used any cleaning solvent yet, doesn't have a enough rounds yet.

--- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    the ammo left in the mag looks corroded and aged.

Brand new USA made ammo.
    It just looks really dirty to me... What ammo is that?!

Does that black gunk wipe off?

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    You have 2 cracked cases as well.
    I don't think so... Those are just stripes in the gunk, made as the last round slid forward out of the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Perfectly normal. Vaporized copper fouling puking back onto the next rounds.
    That's my guess, too... Many guns are designed to vent excess gas into mag incase of an overpressure situation (rather than into the shooters face, or letting the gun blow up).

I would guess that your no-name ammo is awfully hot, and with a can you've got some serious back pressure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Never used any cleaning solvent yet, doesn't have a enough rounds yet.
    That doesn't make any sense to me...

I was taught to disassemble and clean a brand-new gun, before shooting it... If you didn't, then it's possible that the gun was shipped with a lot of oil or even some kind of preservative (think cosmoline) in the barrel, and that's part of your over-pressure problem and the gunk everywhere.

Also, when in doubt (when having a weird issue like this), disassemble the gun and clean it...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    It just looks really dirty to me... What ammo is that?!

Does that black gunk wipe off?

I don't think so... Those are just stripes in the gunk, made as the last round slid forward out of the mag.

I would guess that your no-name ammo is awfully hot, and with a can you've got some serious back pressure.
    No, it does not wipe off.

Correct I looked at the ammo again to make sure, just a mark.

Hornady Black 168gr

--- Andrew Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast