Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun industry sees spike in sales (Obama "stimulus" bill may include firearms resticti

Feedback Score
    Smells like fear-mongering. I haven't heard any talk in Congress about anything gun-related, much less gun-related and attached to a yet-undefined "stimulus package".

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Notice I didn't say no one hunts with semi autos. Also, most if us know when they say "semi-automatic rifle" what they really mean are military styled weapons. Basically whoever wrote that article made a SNAFU and probably doesn't know shit from Shinola.
    Reporters are more worried about cramming as many gun related cliches (i.e., the first whole sentence "Vic Scuderi is loaded with weaponry. His booth is stocked full of customers who are looking to wipe out his arsenal of firearms. It's business he won't shoot down.") in the article to actually do any real research.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Bottom line: I wouldn't consider anything below those asshats, so as bills get introduced it'll be up to the firearms community to keep up to speed and be as vigilant and vocal as possible.

Frankly I'm tired of this "new ban is coming, on noes!" attitude. New legislation may certainly be coming -- but legislation isn't law until it's passed. We all know Obama and his ilk would like to ban our stuff. So what? Ultimately, they can't do it unless we let them...
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 01-07-09 at 11:41.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    I thought about this post today- I rescind my initial statement about believing that Obama would do something like that.

He WONT. Why? Because the media has hyped this "economic crisis" to the sky- so naturally the media believing citizens now believe that the US is on the brink of an economic disaster. He needs to pass a stimulus package fast so he needs the support of the GOP and Dems- so by sticking in pet projects (like the ban) will only increase the chances of his bill failing in the House/ Senate.

Not going to happen yet. Like I've said before, it will, but only after some of the current events cool off. That may only happen in a year. But by that time, certain members of congress wont want to touch an issue like this because of their own re-election bid coming up by years end. If no asshole shoots something up in the next year I really dont see anything until his 3rd year, and only if things in the US are calm (think of the climate in 93 or 94)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Please set out exactly how he needs any GOP votes whatsoever? Democrats have majorities in both houses and on January 20th will have the White House.

M_P

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question ??????

And if I deposit the check, how is anyone going to prove how I spent that "Stimulus" money. Who knows what part is "Stimulus" and what isn't in my account. The "Stimulus" was spent on food.

So how would they tell what you spent it on?

You can always rob Peter to pay Paul.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I remember a port security bill that very few politicians had the balls to vote against, that involved pretty stringent internet gambling restrictions.

If a stimulus bill that also restricts the 2a does come up, it will no doubt be called the "Prosperity and Liberty Act." How they get away with this crap is beyond me.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Unfortunately, we kind of already "let them" by putting certain people into power. If anyone makes fun of California again because of Gov. Schwarzenegger, laugh it up because the new joke is going to be Al Franken in Minnesota. How do you think he feels about guns? If they pull some rotten crap to insert gun control into an economic plan to help all of those beleaguered souls you can bet they will do it, because in the end someone will value that more than our right to own certain types of firearms.

Of course, this is all speculation at this point, but they American public and our politicians have already shown us enough.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Bottom line: I wouldn't consider anything below those asshats, so as bills get introduced it'll be up to the firearms community to keep up to speed and be as vigilant and vocal as possible.

Frankly I'm tired of this "new ban is coming, on noes!" attitude. New legislation may certainly be coming -- but legislation isn't law until it's passed. We all know Obama and his ilk would like to ban our stuff. So what? Ultimately, they can't do it unless we let them...

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

The formerly gun-loving state of Colorado.
    Feedback Score
    I've never quite understood how many people have thought Obama would just sort of hang on for awhile before pushing his anti-gun agenda. This emergency stimulus bill is exactly how to get an otherwise unpalatable agenda passed with a minimum of fuss.

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the addition of pork to every bill that gets passed in congress. The public isn't usually even aware of these add-ons to the bills, just what the main bill is. It's only later that you find out that 7 million dollars was approved for the study of whether or not it takes longer for women to use a public restroom than men. That would never get passed on its own, but attach it to a bill to help inner-city youth in some way and that puppy just flies through congress.

Now attach a few anti-gun riders onto the economic stimulus bill quietly and, BOOM, it's through before America even knows what hit it. And if the pro-gun dems or republicans make a stink then it will be portrayed that they were against the economic stimulus package, NOT the anti-gun pork associated with it.

Not saying it will go down that way, I'm just saying it very easily could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter
    You don't change peoples minds by reinforcing stereotypes.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydoc1 View Post
    I've never quite understood how many people have thought Obama would just sort of hang on for awhile before pushing his anti-gun agenda. This emergency stimulus bill is exactly how to get an otherwise unpalatable agenda passed with a minimum of fuss.
    Uhm no. "Sneaking" in legislation would not only NOT work, but would result in considerable fuss. Any future AWB will be stand-alone legislation that would be debated openly, any attempt to end-run around this political reality will result in subsequent Democratic defeat in 2010. Sorry but Democrats aren't that stupid. They are politicians and the first rule of politics is to get re-elected.

Obama will "hang on" because there are political realities that need to be considered. Sneaking in such legislation would destroy what little political capital he has built with House/Senate Republicans.

Sorry but the democratic process works, often in our favor. Obama isn't a dictator and he doesn't get to just wave his hand and create law.

PS. I'd like to hear if anyone can name any piece of anti-gun legislation that was "snuck" into another bill like a stimulus bill to become law.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-08-09 at 08:59.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast