Thread: Kimber Revolvers

Feedback Score

Kimber Revolvers

I am considering getting a Kimber revolver in .38. I am not sure yet if I am going to get the steel or aluminum frame. I have no experience with Kimber wheelguns other than fiddling with one at the store. I am contemplating “upgrading” to the Kimber from my S&W 442. I like the 442, but the better sights, better trigger, and extra round are appealing.

Are the Kimbers dependable and durable? I seem to recall some firing pin issues years ago, and between that and problems I had with one of their autos years ago I dismissed the revolvers. But, I have heard the firing pin issues has been resolved. I am trying to decide if the upgrade is worth the cost. I would love to hear from anyone who has some time in with Kimber revolvers. I can sleep fine with the 442, but if the Kimber is reliable, I may try them out for the advantages they offer. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’d find a used Colt Agent or Det. Special if I wanted a 6 shot “pocket gun” before carrying a Kimber revo.
    While I have no experience with Kimber revolvers, I’ve “repaired” a few of their newer 1911 variants and haven’t been impressed with their QC or extensive use of shoddily produced MIM parts.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I had no idea Kimber decided to screw up revolvers too. Impressive!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH72 View Post
    I am considering getting a Kimber revolver in .38. I am not sure yet if I am going to get the steel or aluminum frame. I have no experience with Kimber wheelguns other than fiddling with one at the store. I am contemplating “upgrading” to the Kimber from my S&W 442. I like the 442, but the better sights, better trigger, and extra round are appealing.

Are the Kimbers dependable and durable? I seem to recall some firing pin issues years ago, and between that and problems I had with one of their autos years ago I dismissed the revolvers. But, I have heard the firing pin issues has been resolved. I am trying to decide if the upgrade is worth the cost. I would love to hear from anyone who has some time in with Kimber revolvers. I can sleep fine with the 442, but if the Kimber is reliable, I may try them out for the advantages they offer. Thanks.
    I haven't fired a Kimber revolver.

But consider a Ruger LCR .327 Federal magnum for a 6-shot snub. Especially if you reload. It might be available as a 3", too. Shoots .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 Magnum, and .327 Fed. Mag.

The .327 fed mag loads can achieve 9x19 performance but with stout recoil and ear-splitting muzzle blast. (40k psi IIRC)

Just something to consider. They weigh about 17 oz and have a good reputation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I’d find a used Colt Agent or Det. Special if I wanted a 6 shot “pocket gun” before carrying a Kimber revo.
    While I have no experience with Kimber revolvers, I’ve “repaired” a few of their newer 1911 variants and haven’t been impressed with their QC or extensive use of shoddily produced MIM parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I had no idea Kimber decided to screw up revolvers too. Impressive!
    I don't have any experience with their wheel guns but my TLE/RL II was a pile of shit with multiple issues.
    Die living

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH72 View Post

I had the K6. I fired 38+P and 357 Magnum out of it. However, like the Ruger LCR in my hand, the recoil force made it unbearable at about the 95-100 round mark for either.

My thumb hurt for several days afterwards. Strangely, though I found doing the same in the S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot or 442 not to be the same issue. I have never felt like that with my larger revolvers though the most I did using a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull, 460 S&W Magnum or 500 Magnum is 30-35 rounds per session. I have done 50 rounds from my 44 Magnum 2.5” and other length barrels without issue, either.

As for FTF or cycling issues I did not experience and issue with the Kimber. The sights were great, as was the size and trigger action. Mine did not have the exposed hammer as the newer ones I have seen released.

Nowadays I carry my S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot with a North American Arms as backup. As I have gotten older I have even been fine carrying my North American Arms Pug and another North American Arms 22 WMR/Magnum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    I had the K6. I fired 38+P and 357 Magnum out of it. However, like the Ruger LCR in my hand, the recoil force made it unbearable at about the 95-100 round mark for either.

My thumb hurt for several days afterwards. Strangely, though I found doing the same in the S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot or 442 not to be the same issue. I have never felt like that with my larger revolvers though the most I did using a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull, 460 S&W Magnum or 500 Magnum is 30-35 rounds per session. I have done 50 rounds from my 44 Magnum 2.5” and other length barrels without issue, either.

As for FTF or cycling issues I did not experience and issue with the Kimber. The sights were great, as was the size and trigger action. Mine did not have the exposed hammer as the newer ones I have seen released.

Nowadays I carry my S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot with a North American Arms as backup. As I have gotten older I have even been fine carrying my North American Arms Pug and another North American Arms 22 WMR/Magnum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Advantage to hand loading / reloading: One can make easy ammo for practice and carry something a bit more potent.

I'm heading my elders warnings about heavy recoil and arthritis / cumulative hand injury.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I think I will just keep rocking along with my pair of 442’s.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A family member of mine bought the K6XS. He is an old revolver guy. Carried a SW 442 for years. He has a few hundred rounds through the new wheel gun and loves it. Excellent sights, grip, trigger. No issues so far

Feedback Score
    I just learned of the new J frames that are coming out. I will grab a couple of those when I find them at the store.