Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "A USA" 223 headstamp brass

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

"A USA" 223 headstamp brass

Anyone familiar with the brass or ammo that comes with "A" and "USA" on the headstamp? I got about 150 pieces from range pick ups and it's different.

It won't trim in my Giraud because it appears the necks are thicker. Neck outer diameters are running about .003" bigger than ALL OTHER flavors of brass. And a rough caliper measure of neck wall thickness appears to be about .003 thicker than other brass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think it's Armscor, but I'm not 100%.

I've picked some of it up, but I haven't tried to load any of it. I generally filter out everything but LC/IMI just to make my life simpler. The reset gets dumped into a bucket for a rainy day.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Could be Armscor. Thanks. I load everything and sort down to a batch of mixed headstamps that will get loaded with blaster FMJs. I've never had any brand of brass like this. It's not long enough to NEED trimming, but I'll have to chamfer the necks a little for nice bullet seating. I'm curious if the thick necks will impact accuracy. (just what I needed.... another experiment)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    just what I needed.... another experiment
    lol! I know, right? :-)

Might make for inconsistent neck tension, so it's possible. I'd probably just relegate them to blaster ammo and call it a day.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've seen that headstamp in my stash, been loaded and shot through, never any problems with it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I've seen that headstamp in my stash, been loaded and shot through, never any problems with it.
    Doesn't appear to be anything unusual until I get to the Giraud. I'm going to load 20 just to try before I go sizing them all.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm going to load 20 just to try before I go sizing them all.
    Please let us know what your test turns up.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Please let us know what your test turns up.
    Should be nothing... I mean... the ammo fired the factory first time, but maybe I'll shoot it against some FC just to see if anything unusual happens.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It is Armscor. I've reloaded some range pickups with Hornady 55s and they shot about the same as any other brass.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    It is Armscor. I've reloaded some range pickups with Hornady 55s and they shot about the same as any other brass.
    Sounds good. I might just sling a few on the new Garmin Chrono for the hell of it. I'd almost lean towards pitching the brass in the recycle bucket, but these days it's tough to take any component for granted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast