Thread: Bought my First and Last New OKC Knife

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Bought my First and Last New OKC Knife

I found out a few months ago that Ontario was out of business and that once the knives in the pipeline dry up, they are gone. The only Ontario knife I really had any interest in is the machete, mainly due to the 80 or so years the US military has used them, so I picked up an 18" US machete today at a local surplus store. I was reminded how bad the handle shape is on the military machetes but was pleasantly surprised I could put a decent edge on it pretty simply. I already have one of the Rothco rubbery plastic sheaths, so once I round the handle corners a bit, I am set.

I bought a well used Ontario machete at a flea market a few years ago that was broken at the last handle rivet. I just extended the handle area which shortened the blade and really need to fit scales to it. I also convexed it, so it should be a wicked cutter.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-19-24 at 22:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you ever need another machete, these are fairly good:

https://www.knivesillustrated.com/re...-inch-machete/

The ones I have had 15+ years came sharp so not sure if his not being sharp is just how they do it now, specific to Lowe's, or a sample of 1.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    This sucks. I've been using mine for years. Wish I could have bought a few more.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I realized I was wrong about the machete being the first when I was trimming a frozen roast yesterday with a blue handled Hunt Plus camp knife I bought on clearance ($12) at Academy a few years ago. I had forgotten Ontario made them.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-21-24 at 09:13.