Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 73

Thread: Smith/Lipsey's ultimate carry J-frame

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    11,480
    Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks for the data, much appreciated!

    I'm saving all my brass, and will probably get a buddy to reload me some wadcutters. I would not mind a powder-coated 90-grain DEWC to reload as a plinker with a couple of grains of powder. I'll have to invest in some Titegroup.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    CDA
    Posts
    4,818
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I just got one of these:

    https://www.thewilderness.com/waist-...er-waist-pack/

    It is superb. It's replacing my old and much beloved Eagle Industries gun pack.
    Thank you, I appreciate the link! These look really nice
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    11,480
    Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Thank you, I appreciate the link! These look really nice
    After Sam at The Wilderness made the final prototype, Darryl wore it for a total of 5000 miles worth of driving across country to events.

    Sam has them on sale right now for $10 off. I have no financial interest in her company, she is just a really nice lady that makes stuff here in the US. I think a bunch of us have worn her Instructor belt forever. I probably have three of them.

    Another neat thing about the design is that you can use your existing AIWB or IWB holster with it. So you save a bunch of money that way. My JM Custom holster for my compact Beretta, and my Dark Star Apollo holster for a J-frame both fit perfectly.

    And the construction is rock solid, it will definitely outlast me.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,191
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Thanks for the data, much appreciated!

    I'm saving all my brass, and will probably get a buddy to reload me some wadcutters. I would not mind a powder-coated 90-grain DEWC to reload as a plinker with a couple of grains of powder. I'll have to invest in some Titegroup.
    Titegroup is great for lightly loading big cases. 700x is, too, but it meters poorly. I use dippers with it.

    Another strategy is to get .38 Colt Short cases. It's 9x19 with a rim. Of course you can't load it to 9x19 pressures unless you have a .357 magnum, but we're talking about light loads anyway. (You can load .38 SC with a 158 gr bullet to 850 fps if you like) but load .38 Colt Short to max and enjoy. They also eject easily being so short. They don't work from some speed loaders if that's a concern.

    I was going to shoot & discard my .38 SC cases but I probably shouldn't. They are easier to load and go in chambers than .38 spl. wadcutters.

    I have a few hundred loaded with 140 gr BNH 12 FN to about 715 fps IIRC. (From a 3" barrel) I'll have to double check the powder charge on that before stating it.

    .38 WC would work just as well, except I found loading blunt bullets to slow down my loading press and they don't go in chambers as easily.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,191
    Feedback Score
    0
    I probably won't get one of these UC's.


    My LCR's have been good and I may get another in .38. That model is 13.5 oz unloaded. A regular S&W allow is 15 oz. These Ultimate Carrys are 16 oz. Probably due to the grip and rear sight.

    The Ruger LCR in 9mm, .327, and .357 all use a steel frame and weight about 17.5 oz. I find this a bit heavy in my pocket.

    All of these guns weight about 1.5 oz more when loaded.

    The LCR .38 & S&W lightweight .38's need to mindful of bullet-pull.

    But not the .32 mag. I've loaded the .32 mag over pressure with lead bullets (in my .327 LCR) that kicked almost like a .327, but didn't pull the 90 gr or 100 gr bullets.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,191
    Feedback Score
    0
    The question for buyers is:

    Are you going to carry with .38 +P?

    If you're not and plan to carry wadcutters or similar you should consider the .32 mag and get that 6th shot. Speed loaders are available if that's a concern.

    158 gr +p 850-950 fps (ouch, and not good for the gun, either)
    125-135 gr +P 875 fps
    158 gr Std SWC 725 fps
    125-148 gr 625-750 fps

    Or .32 mag 100 gr 950 fps
    .32 S&W Long 90-98 gr 650-735 fps. (Will remind you of .22lr recoil)

    Just some common options.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-24-24 at 08:45.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    District 11
    Posts
    6,360
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Y'all have convinced me. I am buying both.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

    Christopher Columbus

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    331
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm not getting my hopes up in finding one of these "UC" models, particularly the 432UC, if/when they start shipping in later February '24 (next month). I'm thinking of getting a Ruger LCR in .327, until or if a 432UC or even a 632UC should one of these ever show up in my locale. Should Lipsey's demand ever slow down, then perhaps one of my preferred, local gun stores can order one. After years of reading/watching reviews, I just don't quite feel that comfortable with Ruger and its LCR, however.

    When "allocated" it seems the Lipsey's sales reps have sole discretion as to which stores and how many of the sales rep's allotment will be sent to those stores. From what I see, many of these stores are "chains" or have several stores in various states & cities. At this moment, it seems difficult to impossible for me to go to a store and even get onto some type of waiting list. I just don't even know folks at these "big box" stores and if they'd even know what a #SM14035 was (the 432UC version).

    How big will the demand be?
    Will the initial allotment evaporate with maybe only a few making it to Gunbroker?
    How big will this 1st batch be?
    When will S&W and Lipsey's begin producing another batch and when might it hit the supply channels if the 1st batch actually sells out?
    Might I be able to score one or two of these "UC" models by the time a 2nd batch is released (assuming I won't find one in the 1st batch)?

    I'm just posting some of my anxieties.
    Last edited by L-2; 01-24-24 at 23:12.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,191
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I'm not getting my hopes up in finding one of these "UC" models, particularly the 432UC, if/when they start shipping in later February '24 (next month). I'm thinking of getting a Ruger LCR in .327, until or if a 432UC or even a 632UC should one of these ever show up in my locale. Should Lipsey's demand ever slow down, then perhaps one of my preferred, local gun stores can order one. After years of reading/watching reviews, I just don't quite feel that comfortable with Ruger and its LCR, however.

    When "allocated" it seems the Lipsey's sales reps have sole discretion as to which stores and how many of the sales rep's allotment will be sent to those stores. From what I see, many of these stores are "chains" or have several stores in various states & cities. At this moment, it seems difficult to impossible for me to go to a store and even get onto some type of waiting list. I just don't even know folks at these "big box" stores and if they'd even know what a #SM14035 was (the 432UC version).

    How big will the demand be?
    Will the initial allotment evaporate with maybe only a few making it to Gunbroker?
    How big will this 1st batch be?
    When will S&W and Lipsey's begin producing another batch and when might it hit the supply channels if the 1st batch actually sells out?
    Might I be able to score one or two of these "UC" models by the time a 2nd batch is released (assuming I won't find one in the 1st batch)?

    I'm just posting some of my anxieties.
    The LCR's seem to be top tier as far as new revolver reliability.

    I've read of a rare transfer bar break and several trigger return springs breaking. But search that for any revolver and you'll fine it.

    I'd like to know when they should be replaced. I should buy a couple. I don't know how to replace the spring I need to look into that, too.

    New Colts have had hammers break, S&W's have mainspring issues, (and not just the strain screw coming loose) and pins shearing, (including J-frames) ejector rods unscrewing, GP100's breaking transfer bars, etc.

    These UC S&W's have titanium pins, btw, stronger than alluminum.

    None of them are perfect. I think the LCR is about as good as it gets right now as far as reliability.

    I beat on my LCR .357 until it stretched (gap grew until out of spec) and the cylinder popped open firing magnum ammo. But until then it ran 100%.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-25-24 at 07:20.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    571
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is interesting and I'm glad to see them paying some attention to the old J-frame. Some of do us like the somewhat classic lines of these little gems. For someone actively looking for a gun of this size and type I think it will be a great option. For me though, already owning 3 J-frames (640, 642 and M&P 340) it would be hard to justify another at the $700 price point.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •