Thread: Semi Auto 12ga = G20

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Semi Auto 12ga = G20

I spend a lot of time backcountry camping with my family in black bear country. In years past I have carried my 375hh for camp defense. Most guys carry a lever action 4570 for this same purpose. I almost went down the lever action road as the 375hh is heavy and full length. I started thinking about a 12ga semiautomatic for this same purpose. Camp defense and general utility shooting. Fast follow up shots with a reliable beretta 1301 should be decisive. The same logic in the handgun world. A semiautomatic 357 magnum (10mm ballistics) with quick follow up shots seems all the rage over heavy recoiling but superior terminal ballistics of traditional bear stopping cartridges. So yes, in the long gun world of backcountry, the 1301 does parallel the same logic of applying a Glock 20 for holster carry.

I am convincing myself to buy a shotgun.

Feedback Score
    When wandering the woods, an FN 510 RDS w/15rd mag and a spare 22rd mag are carried; light, easy to carry, accurate and reliable; and good for two legged and four legged animals. I have a 1301 as well, but never carry it while hiking.
    Last edited by henri; 01-22-24 at 17:29.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I know a guy that lives in a remote part of Alaska in the summer time. He and his wife both carry a Benelli M2 SBS with Brenneke slugs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can't imagine a brush situation where a rapid fire, slug spewing shotgun is trumped by a lever action 45-70. Ease of operation, natural point ability, and reduced recoil.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My dad used to own a cabin on the Salcha River in Alaska. It was about an hour drive from Fairbanks, then about a 2 hour ride upriver in an airboat to get there. Very remote to say the least. We were enjoying a fall day up there years ago when a big bear came close to the cabin; aware but careless about our presence. We all got inside, but the bear got onto the porch and started pushing on the windows. After several radio calls up and down the river the consensus was to dispatch the bear. We let it get off the porch a little way (15 yards) and my dad shot it with a 12 ga 870 18.5" shotgun using 2-3/4" 00 buckshot. The bear dropped in its tracks, lifeless. My dad shot it one more time for good measure. Based on its size, coloring, and behavior we all thought it was a grizz. It was the first bear any of us had ever seen in the wild. It turned out to be a very large black bear. I think it was 9ft from paw to paw measured around it's back.

I have no doubt in my mind that a SG loaded with 00 buck would be an excellent choice in defense in many camping/hiking/hunting/hd situations. So long as you are not already in a scuffle. That's where a holstered pistol could possibly be your best bet and likely your last option.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Semi Auto 12ga = G20

• Backcountry camping with family in black bear country.
    • Camp defense and general utility shooting.
    • Fast follow up shots with a reliable Beretta 1301.

What are you waiting for to buy that Beretta 1301?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A light, short, shotgun is not a bad choice at all. If you are comfortable with the manual of arms then I don’t see any reason to keep thinking about it.

That said, an AR with heavy barrier blind ammo is going to take care of the very unlikely problem Black Bear.

And I know this isn’t the most popular opinion, but people really overestimate the terminal performance of magnum handguns.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    A light, short, shotgun is not a bad choice at all. If you are comfortable with the manual of arms then I don’t see any reason to keep thinking about it.

That said, an AR with heavy barrier blind ammo is going to take care of the very unlikely problem Black Bear.

And I know this isn’t the most popular opinion, but people really overestimate the terminal performance of magnum handguns.
    Agreed. The only reason for the handgun is that you (hopefully) always have it on you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)