Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finger/hand stop on ar pistol forend

Feedback Score

Finger/hand stop on ar pistol forend

I have mentioned my recent 7in pistol build in another thread. It has no brace. I have shot it SAS style (my interpretation from 1 youtube vid.....) pushing forward against the single point sling. It was fun and promises more fun.

Here's the catch:

I want to keep it easy, no brainer legal. It had a BCM KAG on the fore end as gifted. Legal for pistol or not, I do not like it. I removed it and installed a 1in long machine screw protruding down out of the mlok fore end. Secured with 4 nuts stacked along the length of the screw and covered them with a piece of rubber fuel line. I love it. Another shooter has suggested it illegal unless I do SBR paperwork. Anyone care to offer their educated opinion before I remove it? Not interested in a morality of gun law discussion (or about what a pussy I am for no brace on the build. I just want to know if a 1 inch long by 3/4 inch diameter protrusion from the fore end makes my gun an sbr or not. Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 01-22-24 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    Well, I guess it all boils down to whether or not it’s a handstop or a vertical grip. You view it as a handstop, someone else may not. The only absolute way around this is to purchase something specifically manufactured to not be a vertical grip. If you want something smaller and more minimal, Arisaka makes a splendid handstop that sounds a lot like what you have made. There’s no black and white definition of what’s a vert grip vs what’s a handstop. They’re manufactured one way or another. What you have done is leave yourself completely open to interpretation, which usually isn’t a good place to be.

https://arisakadefense.com/finger-stop-m-lok/
    Last edited by DoubleW; 01-22-24 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I would think if you take a look at a CZ Scorpion EVO and mimic that, you should be okay. That is a hand stop, and not a forward pistol grip.

Repeat after me: "Hand stop".

Have said that, for the love of Harambe, please do not send a letter to the BATFE asking for an opinion letter.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    Well, I guess it all boils down to whether or not it’s a handstop or a vertical grip. You view it as a handstop, someone else may not. The only absolute way around this is to purchase something specifically manufactured to not be a vertical grip. If you want something smaller and more minimal, Arisaka makes a splendid handstop that sounds a lot like what you have made. There’s no black and whit definition of what’s a vert grip vs what’s a handstop. They’re manufactured one way or another. What you have done is leave yourself completely open to interpretation, which usually isn’t a good place to be.

https://arisakadefense.com/finger-stop-m-lok/
    You are literally living in my head rent free.

Arisaka makes great stuff, I have their gear on several firearms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yes, I believe a VG on a rig less than 26” makes it an AOW, not an SBR.

Makes a lot of sense, doesn’t it?

Feedback Score
    Looks like mine is .3 in shorter than the Arisaka, but .125 wider! Didn't figure there'd be an easy answer.....

Feedback Score
    Oh, just out of curiosity, is there a brief description of legalities involved with owning an AOW?
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 01-23-24 at 07:52.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Oh, just out of curiosity, is there a brief description of legalities involved with owning an AOW?
    Transferring an AOW on a F4 is $5 tax stamp. Manufacturing one on a F1 is a $200 tax stamp. I believe your above item is already disqualified by having a rifled barrel and being semiautomatic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    Yes, I believe a VG on a rig less than 26” makes it an AOW, not an SBR.

Makes a lot of sense, doesn’t it?
    It makes it a short barreled rifle. Not an AOW. If he wants a VFG, needs OAL over 26” or to SBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast