Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's hard to find basic videos about firing a revolver properly

Feedback Score

It's hard to find basic videos about firing a revolver properly

I'm teaching a new shooter.

She had one poor trip to an indoor range. She wouldn't even try. (I wasn't there)

I took her outdoors and she had a good time, fired about 75 rds, and I got her on paper at 5 yds. As in an IDPA target sized piece of paper!

I gave her class-room instruction, no guns. Now she's fired her first shots. This was just how to load, unload, hold, and shoot, safely, without being scared of the gun, and put holes in a torso at 5 yds.

I tried to find videos on basic revolver shooting / aiming, preferably by a woman, and I'm disappointed. So much crap. Alot of pistol videos though.

Anyone have a link to any short (5-10m) videos for shooting a revolver 101-102? Preferably from a woman?

I'd like her to watch a video for the level she's at before we shoot again.

Fyi she's shooting .38 Colt Short and .32 S&W Long for now. Low recoil.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'm teaching a new shooter.

She had one poor trip to an indoor range. She wouldn't even try. (I wasn't there)

I took her outdoors and she had a good time, fired about 75 rds, and I got her on paper at 5 yds. As in an IDPA target sized piece of paper!

I gave her class-room instruction, no guns. Now she's fired her first shots. This was just how to load, unload, hold, and shoot, safely, without being scared of the gun, and put holes in a torso at 5 yds.

I tried to find videos on basic revolver shooting / aiming, preferably by a woman, and I'm disappointed. So much crap. Alot of pistol videos though.

Anyone have a link to any short (5-10m) videos for shooting a revolver 101-102? Preferably from a woman?

I'd like her to watch a video for the level she's at before we shoot again.

Fyi she's shooting .38 Colt Short and .32 S&W Long for now. Low recoil.
    Outdoors is the way to go with new shooters, hell all shooters. I remember watching videos on here when I inherited my first revolver and bought a wiley clapp gp100 and hadn't a clue. I practiced dry firing, and reloading (dummy rounds) at home before hitting the range for the first time. I swear it was on this forum but cannot find the threads. I'll look around and see what I can find.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No specific revolver help, but dry firing is a really good idea.

While also not revolver specific, these 2(especially "The Flinchies") from Chuck Pressburg may be beneficial.

https://youtu.be/B-WTyAFRTis?si=e-Vh7Q7kA4rVgJNJ

https://youtu.be/eETQjJQT68w?si=UzaBXUlRkh4Jd5_7

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    No specific revolver help, but dry firing is a really good idea.

While also not revolver specific, these 2(especially "The Flinchies") from Chuck Pressburg may be beneficial.

https://youtu.be/B-WTyAFRTis?si=e-Vh7Q7kA4rVgJNJ

https://youtu.be/eETQjJQT68w?si=UzaBXUlRkh4Jd5_7
    Thanks. I reviewed it, but it is an example of the problem I'm finding.

As soon as my female, non-enthusiest friend starts this video and sees big men running & gunning in the dark yelling "Go Go Go!" she's not watching anymore.

Later in this kind of video the instructor uses too many words / gun jargon the lay person doesn't understand yet.

I think there is alot of opportunity for female instructors to teach other women & make a little coin. Plenty of women need "How to use a handgun 101" taught by another woman.

I'll look for this specifically and if I can find such videos I'll post them here.

Feedback Score
    Most women need to start there first time actually firing a handgun like this for a good foundation.

Watch the newbie, Jordan, (who is very attractive btw) jump at about 2:20 at the first shot!

Taking someone at this level (ZERO) and turning them into a proficient shooter would be satisfying. I've done this with my wife and love watching her shoot well because everything she knows about it came from me and it's validating.

But that takes time. It would be great to have some videos I could have potential new shooters watch to cover some of the 101 stuff. So when I explain it & show them it's not their first time seeing it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFJFIEnJFIs
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-17-24 at 09:32.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I don't know if they have any specific revolver shooting 101 videos, but here are three names I'd look for videos with.

Julie Golob

Kay Clark-Miculek

Lena Miculek

You should be able to find something lady friendly and on message from them. Hope this helps!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Most women need to start there first time actually firing a handgun like this for a good foundation.

Watch the newbie, Jordan, (who is very attractive btw) jump at about 2:20 at the first shot!

Taking someone at this level (ZERO) and turning them into a proficient shooter would be satisfying. I've done this with my wife and love watching her shoot well because everything she knows about it came from me and it's validating.

But that takes time. It would be great to have some videos I could have potential new shooters watch to cover some of the 101 stuff. So when I explain it & show them it's not their first time seeing it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFJFIEnJFIs
    Cool

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Start with the "Shooting USA Classic ProTip: Jerry Miculek - Revolver Grip", then look at the wide variety of revolver vids on Jerry's channel "Jerry Miculek - Pro Shooter", look at Mas Ayoob's videos on revolver skills.. go from there...
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 02-17-24 at 19:06.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    Start with the "Shooting USA Classic ProTip: Jerry Miculek - Revolver Grip", then look at the wide variety of revolver vids on Jerry's channel "Jerry Miculek - Pro Shooter", look at Mas Ayoob's videos on revolver skills.. go from there...
    Will check those out, thanks.

Good videos!
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-20-24 at 11:52.

Feedback Score
    Revolvers are certainly a different animal, but some naturally take to them. I can shoot anything that has sights and a trigger, but my wife shoots our revolvers very well...better than any slide gun, and she prefers a revolver. She just simply took to them, like a duck to water.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast