Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Overall 556 Can

Feedback Score

Best Overall 556 Can

Short story,
    I walked in to a dealer a few weeks ago and semi-impulse bought a Surefire RC2 can. Mainly because he had the Silencer Co kiosk and could do one stop shopping.
    (I hadn't bough a class 3 item since Obummer changed the rules on trust.)

Fast forward 13 weeks later, I am no closer to getting my can that the day I thought I had purchased it. The dealer still cant get one (even though he said it should be no more than 10 days) and thus no serial number to file with.
    This got me thinking, well maybe I should get the RC3 can. It is really worth the extra $$$'s?
    I saw a couple of video reviews and it might be slightly worse that the RC2 when it comes to flash suppression.

In short, what are the top overall can(s) that are 556 dedicated that do the best job of not only sound suppression but also flash suppression?

I was leaning toward Surefire because they have been around for a while and will probably be in case I should have an issue with my suppressor.
    I don't wanna get all AAC'd and have about zero support a few yrs later.

Even with Pew Science rankings, its hard to get a complete overall picture.

Input plz.
    Preferable from hands on experience.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The oldest trap in the silencer book! "I can order you one!". FUKK THAT!!! If it aint on the shelf, it doesn't exist.

As far as which one to go with, I don't even know the manufacturers these days. Everyone has their fav's and will be along shortly. I just lean towards a light, short, over-bored can. A direct thread 30 cal titanium K can kinda of deal is the only thing I'd be interested at this stage of life.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I don't own any suppressors, but I'm planning to change that so I've been researching as well. My takeaway is that 556 semi sucks for suppressing. There is no free lunch when it comes to "best" it's mostly tradeoffs. Depending on the can you but tuning maybe necessary. Do you want suppressed only or 50/50. Suppressors ported barrels like Sionics offers help alot with tuning as well as BRT gas tubes and A5 extentions. Or you can buy the HUXWRX or similar flow thru design to mitigate gas blowback, at the potential expense of high blast signature from the muzzle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I just lean towards a light, short, over-bored can. A direct thread 30 cal titanium K can kinda of deal is the only thing I'd be interested at this stage of life.
    Titanium suppressors are a terrible choice if visual signature reduction is a priority.

The "best" suppressor will probably depend on your use case and budget. The RC2 is still an amazingly solid suppressor, even if it has more backpressure than the RC3; if you're going to be running a dedicated suppressed only rifle, you could just tune that rifle for use with the RC2 and negate most of the benefits of the RC3, while saving money and having potentially better visual signature reduction. If the rifle will see mixed use or if you plan to move the suppressor from rifle to rifle (which I personally would not recommend), I personally would gauge the flowthrough design of the RC3 to be worth the extra cost and slight potential for flashing with specific muzzle devices and ammo.

Using an adjustable gas block on my 14.5" for my RC and a gas block insert in my 11.5" for my RC2, the backpressure is very much reduced, so much so that I do not notice any gas to my face if I'm not doing a full-on mag dump, it is only after 10 or 15 rounds do I start to notice excess gas, and even then, it is not particularly gassy (though I am also using LMT eBCGs and A5 REs with Sprinco green springs and A5H2 buffers).

The RC2, at the very least (not enough data out for the RC3, though I would give SureFire the benefit of the doubt), is probably one of the best cans in terms of duty use: great audio signature reduction, excellent visual signature reduction (including under IR, some cans glow very brightly under NODs after longer strings of fire; Brass Facts recently did an episode discussing suppressors that showed how brightly some suppressors can glow under night vision, including a HUXWRX, while I've seen it on other folks rifles myself before in classes), good mounting system, excellent POI shift repeatability, excellent durability, good backpressure.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 01-30-24 at 10:10.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Titanium suppressors are a terrible choice if visual signature reduction is a priority.
    But they're GREAT if you run out of sparklers for the kids on the 4th.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I was looking for a new can, I would be looking long and hard at the new generation of 3d printed flow through cans. Off the top of my head, I would look at the PTR Vent 3, CAT WB, and HuxWrx Flow 556k. With probably a lean toward the Flow 556k. The all suppress and flow better than the RC3, are lighter, and in the case of the Flow 556k significantly shorter.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Do you mean flash? I'm not sure how the materials of the baffle would impact flash. And my steel cans certainly are unimpressive at flash reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    But they're GREAT if you run out of sparklers for the kids on the 4th.
    Expound on this please. I've never heard/read of this issue with Ti cans. We shoot a few of them, but no in low light.
    Last edited by markm; 01-30-24 at 09:52.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Do you mean flash? I'm not sure how the materials of the baffle would impact flash. And my steel cans certainly are unimpressive at flash reduction.

Expound on this please. I've never heard/read of this issue with Ti cans. We shoot a few of them, but no in low light.
    Steel cans performing poorly at flash reduction is typically going to be an issue of poor design and/or high flash ammunition. Something like the SureFire SOCOMs have excellent flash reduction typically. For titanium, an additional factor is the titanium shavings that are generated upon firing by the muzzle blast that then ignite, and can generate quite the sparks show; this is fairly well documented and you can easily find many videos online that show this. This is particularly noticeable with smaller caliber bullets operating under high pressures (e.g., 5.56×45mm), doubly so with rapid fire.

For example:
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 01-30-24 at 10:05.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    If I was looking for a new can, I would be looking long and hard at the new generation of 3d printed flow through cans. Off the top of my head, I would look at the PTR Vent 3, CAT WB, and HuxWrx Flow 556k. With probably a lean toward the Flow 556k. The all suppress and flow better than the RC3, are lighter, and in the case of the Flow 556k significantly shorter.
    I've got a Flow 556k in jail, after doing the typical online research and only having experience with my personal Dead Air Sandman (men?) S and K with 556 endcaps. For me, it came down to Huxwrx Flow 556k or Surefire RC3. Gas blowback was a primary consideration for me as a lefty shooter. Rooftop Defense and Big Tex Ordnance has some informative videos to help make your own conclusions. The flow-through cans were designed with added requirement of minimizing effect on rifles that must function with or without a suppressor. If that wasn't a requirement, I think flow-through wouldn't be as much of a consideration.

Flow 556k Pros: lightweight (13 oz), short, lowest back pressure, simple attachment.
    Flow 556k Cons: more flash, not best performing muzzle devices, 2500-round cleaning schedule for long life.

RC2 Pros: durable, durable, durable, great track record and manufacturer, best signature reduction, great performing muzzle devices.
    RC2 Cons: heavy (17 oz), more complex locking mechanism may carbon lock, high back pressure.

RC3 Pros: See RC2 above, except track record TBD and must use open-tine (3 or 4 prong) flash hider for best signature reduction.
    RC3 Cons: heavy (17 oz), more complex locking mechanism may carbon lock, price.

The reason I went with Flow 556k was for use on multiple rifles that are gas-sensitive like X95 and DI ARs not tuned for suppressed use. My Dead Airs go on PWS piston rifles that have adjustable gas blocks. If it were only for a rifle (SBR) tuned for heavy suppressed use, I think the RC2 is easily at the top.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 01-30-24 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For titanium, an additional factor is the titanium shavings that are generated upon firing by the muzzle blast that then ignite, and can generate quite the sparks show
    That is interesting. The reason I'm shocked is that, I'd read that Ti wasn't as durable in the baffle realm. So I've looked into the Ti cans regularly, and the baffles look brand new. I'm talking those Sig cans with sharpe angles on the cones. I'd expect to see erosion on the sharp edges, but nothing.

That being said, for my usage, weight would outweigh the low light concern. We just don't shoot at night but once per year. And maybe with NOD gear once every 2-3 years.

Interesting also, is the Surefire can. I saw in the Carbine Video Setup thread where those guys (mil) had flash reduction as a concern. I remember thinking that the flash is still there with a suppressor. Pappabear has an SF can coming, so it'll be interesting to see how we like it. Are they still just the basic baffle stack?? There's nothing terribly sophisticated about SF's baffle system.
    Last edited by markm; 01-30-24 at 10:29.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast