Thread: So why are SiCo ASR mounts so disliked?

Feedback Score

So why are SiCo ASR mounts so disliked?

Don’t shoot the newb, I was all set to run Xeno mounts on everything.
    However, that’s a pain with Charlie threads and I got my Velos 3 months earlier than I expected.
    So I spun the ASR flash hider on so I could shoot suppressed.

Honestly, it seems pretty idiot proof to me but I have zero NFA experience.
    So what are the reasons ASR has such a bad rep? What am I missing?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The ASR is fine. I think the main issue with the SiCo mounts is that people try to screw the can onto the muzzle device too tightly and the tapers stick. It just needs to be snug, you don't need to torque the shit out of it. The older MAAD mount was really bad about sticking like this if overtightened.

I think some people also try to unscrew it by the can rather than by the lock ring which can result in unscrewing the can body from the mount. These are usually the same people that try to white-knuckle it onto the muzzle device, FWIW.

And then there are the folks that either forget to lock it once they've screwed it down or forget to unlock it before trying to screw it down. So...User error.

Toss a little bit of high temp anti-seize on the taper, tighten it just snug, ignore reddit, and you'll be fine. If it does arse up, SiCo will still be around next year to take care of you...We might not be able to say that about Dead Air.
    Last edited by kerplode; 02-05-24 at 10:16.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Nothing is wrong with them. I've been using them for years. I've never had a problem. They are relatively light and do not add much length compared to keymo. That difference is noticeable. They also lock up consistently. There is very little shift, and the shift that occurs is consistent.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Absolutely nothing.

I have used them for nearly 10 years now and just installed a BE Meyers 249 ASR 4-prong on my KAC 16" SR15 Mod2 so I can eventually attach the Velos K I want to buy.

If you use high-temp nickel based anti-seize (2000F or higher) on the taper, it won't lock up.

I actually prefer to do just that and then twist the absolute F out of it as I tighten it. Then rotate the locking collar.

The contamination of cans getting stuck that I have seen was via the tapers not mating fully (too loose) and gas escaping through the taper. My threads all stay VERY clean. But I have never had my tapers leak, either.

As others have said, SiCO sells more cans than nearly every other maker combined, and often to neophytes who don't RTFM. These dummies will try to rotate the can on the threads with the locking collar in the 'locked' position (stripping the locking pawls, the teeth on the muzzle device, or both), barely tighten the damn thing, and then act surprised when 56,000 psi unscrews the GD can on their behalf.

I reiterate, people who RTFM rarely have any issues and SiCo stands behind their stuff. My first can was actually a Saker 762 with the now-dead ratcheting Saker mount. It failed and got stuck in the MAAD adapter.

One phone call to SiCo and a 2 day shipping label later and I had a new MAAD adapter and multiple new ASR muzzle devices, with a handwritten apology note. I stuck with ASR and never looked back.

Also, let's be clear, there are many HUB adapters now that don't even have a secondary locking mechanism at all, like Rearden & Xeno. And they work great, too. ASR has the taper AND the secondary locking collar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Older design. Super heavy - muzzle devices and mount.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    My first can was actually a Saker 762 with the now-dead ratcheting Saker mount. It failed and got stuck in the MAAD adapter.
    I'm still rocking one of those Gen 1 Saker 762s as my rifle can. I have both the Trifecta and ASR mounts for it and switch it back and forth depending on which rifle I'm mounting it on (I have a mix of Trifecta and ASR MDs in use...Too lazy to swap out the Trifectas). Never had any issues with either. I honestly like the Trifecta. I use a whisper of anti-seize and never tighten either beyond snug, though.

The ASR is definitely the more idiot proof of the bunch, but if you look at reddit, you'll still find a lot of idiots that can't figure it out...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I'm still rocking one of those Gen 1 Saker 762s as my rifle can. I have both the Trifecta and ASR mounts for it and switch it back and forth depending on which rifle I'm mounting it on (I have a mix of Trifecta and ASR MDs in use...Too lazy to swap out the Trifectas). Never had any issues with either. I honestly like the Trifecta. I use a whisper of anti-seize and never tighten either beyond snug, though.

The ASR is definitely the more idiot proof of the bunch, but if you look at reddit, you'll still find a lot of idiots that can't figure it out...
    I actually have a few buddies who bought their Sakers at the same time and have had no issue with the Trifecta mounts.

Yeah, the same guys on Reddit who have those issues complain about how their NiB carrier has developed some scratches after a few rounds.

It's an IQ indicator for sure. lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."