Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inflatable Sleeping Pads for field use, recommendations?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can also stick something like this under an inflatable to give extra protection.

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/pr...-1-8-foam-pad/

If the main gets punctured it would also be nicer waking up on 1/8" of foam instead of 1/64" nylon/polyester.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Unfortunately the large foam pads don't work well for me, I have to pack a lot of stuff out with me so a rolled or folded foam pad takes up a lot of space that I need for other essential gear and I'm limited to about 4000 Cubic Inches of pck space

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljmaunder View Post
    Unfortunately the large foam pads don't work well for me, I have to pack a lot of stuff out with me so a rolled or folded foam pad takes up a lot of space that I need for other essential gear and I'm limited to about 4000 Cubic Inches of pck space
    Can you not strap it to the outside?

These things have gotten insane on price, but they pack small.

https://www.theoutdoorgearreview.com...lding.html?m=1

I suspect a business will knock those off to get the price down to somewhat reasonable before long.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Can you not strap it to the outside?

These things have gotten insane on price, but they pack small.

https://www.theoutdoorgearreview.com...lding.html?m=1

I suspect a business will knock those off to get the price down to somewhat reasonable before long.
    Yes they can be strapped to the outside. However whenever we go out there generally a lot of thick/brambly underbrush and things of that nature so they get shredded pretty quick. I try and keep everything inside the pack so it doesn't get wrecked in the bush.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes they can be strapped to the outside. However whenever we go out there generally a lot of thick/brambly underbrush and things of that nature so they get shredded pretty quick. I try and keep everything inside the pack so it doesn't get wrecked in the bush.
    I've not had a lot of damage with foam in Holly and briars, but it does happen.

Something like the German mat might work for you since it folds in half and can be stuck under most straps and stay within the planes of the pack sides without sticking out to the sides like most foam mats will.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I've not had a lot of damage with foam in Holly and briars, but it does happen.

Something like the German mat might work for you since it folds in half and can be stuck under most straps and stay within the planes of the pack sides without sticking out to the sides like most foam mats will.
    I'll scour the web and see if I can find one, its worth a shot, since it folds flat I can probably fit it inside the pack as well since it could possibly fit against the walls of front or back of the pack. And like you said, if the inflatable pad fails a little bit of insulation is better than zero

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I'll scour the web and see if I can find one, its worth a shot, since it folds flat I can probably fit it inside the pack as well since it could possibly fit against the walls of front or back of the pack. And like you said, if the inflatable pad fails a little bit of insulation is better than zero
    I’ve been using a similar 1/8” mat to the one linked earlier from Gossamer Gear. I cut it to 3/4 length and put it under my inflatable mat. It will add a bit more R-VALUE, but the main reason I pack it is to give more protection to the inflatable pad and as a sit pad for glassing while hunting. https://www.gossamergear.com/collect...light-foam-pad

As for the muted colors, the pads that come to mind are from Klymit. They are actually pretty durable and I found it to be comfortable…and should be packable enough, but they aren’t the lightest. Price was pretty good too…but I used them almost a decade ago so hopefully that all still stands true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12